Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 27th, 2018 09:00

17 R5, nothing but problems

I purchased the Alienware 17 r5 in 2014, 2 months after purchase i had a hard drive fail, called and got a replacement from dell, 1 month after, the replacement failed, so i just purchased my own drive. The nvidia 765 graphics card needs to be removed and cleaned every 2 weeks due to the system not seeing the card, i called on this issue and was told i would have to pay for a replacement. so i have been dealing with the issue.  This morning however i press the power button and got no response, no lights fans or beeps, nothing at all. So i do all the trouble shooting, pull battery reset cmos, drain static power, still nothing, i will get the battery charging light (breathing) but when i press the power button it goes away. 

I called dell and got transferred 4 times, and told that i would have to pay them to have them tell me whats wrong since its not covered anymore. I tried to explain that im not the only one having this issue, it seems to be wide spread and its been nothing but problems from day one.  I was told they would transfer me to someone who could better assist, and they hung up on me.  so i called back and had the same thing happen 3 more times, transfer, hold, transfer, hold. hangup.

I would appreciate some assistance.

5 Posts

April 27th, 2018 10:00

After being on hold forever again, i was told that i can purchase a replacement. They cant do anything to help. 

Lovely

I can safely say that i will never purchase a dell again, and ill do my best to talk everyone else out of buying one too.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

April 27th, 2018 13:00

What you're expecting is a free, out of warranty repair - which you won't (and wouldn't) get from Apple, HP, Lenovo, Acer, or any other computer vendor.

This isn't a Dell issue - it's an expectation that'll never be met by any computer manufacturer.

5 Posts

April 27th, 2018 14:00

The issue wasn't remedied when it was under warranty, and its an issue wide spread enough to warrant a recall.

Dell customer service is a joke, no help once so ever, just got "bummer, to bad for you".

1 Message

September 8th, 2018 09:00

Wow this is kinda gross, I was thinking about waiting for the HP Zbook 17 G5 to come out or just buying the Alienware 17 G5 which would cost me around $4600, been going around looking for reviews and issues and can safely say I'll wait for the HP to drop. Laptop breaking after 2 monthes? No thanks lol. 

2 Posts

October 9th, 2018 00:00

I wished I saw this before buying mine, first 2 weeks I had a problem with the keyboard ghosting that was fixed. Worked fine for about a month and a half then a couple keys just wouldn't respond, keyboard was replaced. It's been about another month and now I have no "D" drive. Literally just died not 15 mins ago and was looking to see if others were having any issues looks like the 17 R5 is a POS. I totally agree Alienware 17 R5 nothing but problems. 

10 Posts

October 9th, 2018 01:00

Hello

What brand do you think can work well without any issues? I bought R5 i7-8750h and I'm worried about it do you think I should return it?   if you read the topics I had topic about thermal and fan nobody answer me :( 

2 Posts

October 9th, 2018 23:00

I thought I found a good one in the 17 r5 but now I'm starting to wonder if I should've had gone with the Acer Predator.

October 11th, 2018 17:00

Alienware 17 r5 just came out this yer  becase i get the alianware 17 r4 and i had it for 1yer and  with 1 issue and the send a guy to come to my house to fix it and he did ... that is becase i have

Premium Support

Complete Care

Onsite Service After Remote Diagnosis (Consumer Customer)/ Next Business Day Onsite After Remote Diagnosis (Commercial Customer

and bye the way i don't belive no one is going to help you if you don't have

Warranty

i love laptop i play game on 4k with 32G  all games look and feel like real life with no lag  .....sorry you buy a pc

with no warranty and here you are mad and sad becase you think the will help you .. yayay

50 Posts

April 17th, 2019 15:00

Funny you should say recall. I've gone thru 3 of them all due to overheating. On my 4th and it's starting too. The Alienware 17 R5 has issues-I would not recommend anyone to buy it.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 18th, 2019 11:00

Hi @Penguin52

If your system is having overheating issues, please send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can review your case.

June 2nd, 2020 07:00

Got the same laptop. I've had to get it fixed 7 times. I finally decided to buy something else and Im so happy I dont have it anymore. Over priced, breaks every month, and even when its working its a gaming laptop with a 60hz monitor. DONT BUY IT

No Events found!