Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Message

June 29th, 2018 11:00

13 R?, BSOD and Black Screen when not plugged in

Good Day everyone!

Does anyone here is experiencing what is currently happening to my Alienware 13?

When I use the laptop and it is not plugged on the wall socket, It goes to black screen after the windows log-in and it only shows the task bar and the mouse and eventually will freeze and the surrounding of the mouse cursor will display random "artifact" patterns wherever the mouse cursor is and will turn the screen all black afterwards and it will sound the windows chime when a USB device is being plugged. 

Even when its plugged, it also freezes and will turn into the "BSOD" or the blue screen, the errors are VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR sometimes it also shows VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL

I hope someone can help me with this problem. Thank you in advance. 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 29th, 2018 12:00

Did you install any new drivers lately? If you did make sure the drivers came from Dell and not another source like Nvidia or AMD. Laptop drivers especially video drivers are customized by Dell for your model. Go to Dell Downloads and get the correct video drivers for your exact model. Allow the scanner at Dell Support to see what drivers you might need. 

July 13th, 2018 11:00

I am having the same issue.  I have done extensive testing.

Alienware 13, Nvidia 860m, 16Gb Ram, 250Gb SSD, Windows 10 pro.

Issue first started around April 2018. 

First thing that I tried was to roll back to a previous state (before the latest updates). Did not work!

Second, I tried to uninstall and update the drivers for display adapters and other various hardware one by one (using the dell support site to download the drivers).  Still not working...

I then installed windows 10 pro - installing only the drivers from Dell according to my service tag.... Nope!

I put in a spare SSD I had sitting around, and did another fresh install of Windows 10 pro.  I did not run any updates from MS, and that seemed to work for a while... but after a week, the issue returned.  I verified that Windows did not receive any updates...  Failed again!

I then upgraded bios (it was way behind).  Did not help at all!

I went to an older version of Windows (Windows 7 pro (which is not fully supported by Dell as they want you to use Windows 8, but I refuse!)... Everything seems stable now... Is this the fact that the video card/alienware hardware does not work properly with Window 10? Who is at fault here... Windows? or Dell? or Nvidia?  

Please let me know if any further information is needed!

Thanks.

July 13th, 2018 15:00

After putting in the old SSD (with Windows 10 pro), I was able to determine that I could disable the NVIDIA 860 while I am running off of the battery and that is a workaround for now.  I wrote a simple powershell script that I run to disable the NVIDIA device and shut the laptop down.  This way I will not need to worry about starting the computer with the NVIDIA device enabled.  I wrote a second script that I run to enable the NVIDIA if the laptop is plugged in and I would like to use it for gaming.  Here are the scripts to see if they will work for you until they (whoever "they" is in this instance) come out with a fix.

Shutdown and disable NVIDIA driver, This is 3 lines - 1 to check permissions and elevate if needed, 2, find the NVIDIA device and disable it, 3 shut down the computer:  Place this file in notepad and rename it with a .ps1 extension ( you may need to set the default program to run ps1 files as powershell.exe ) 

if (!([Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal][Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()).IsInRole([Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole] "Administrator")) { Start-Process powershell.exe "-NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File `"$PSCommandPath`"" -Verb RunAs; exit }
Get-PnpDevice | where {$_.friendlyname -like "*NVIDIA GeForce*"} | Disable-PnpDevice -Confirm:$false
Stop-Computer

Enable NVIDIA device for gaming and once plugged into a power source. 

if (!([Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal][Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()).IsInRole([Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole] "Administrator")) { Start-Process powershell.exe "-NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File `"$PSCommandPath`"" -Verb RunAs; exit }
Get-PnpDevice | where {$_.friendlyname -like "*NVIDIA GeForce*"} | Enable-PnpDevice -Confirm:$false

This is a very crude workaround, but it is the only thing that is working for me.   Please DELL  Please MICROSOFT fix this issue... not fair to have a 1000 dollar laptop that needs this kind of work around!

April 21st, 2021 15:00

Thanks for scripts! they work fine

... but the issue remains unsolved!

No Events found!