Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

July 31st, 2018 16:00

17 R4, Black screen on boot

So, since I submitted a support ticket FOUR WEEKS ago, and haven't even gotten a response yet (although having premium support), I will explain my issue here, in the hopes of getting a quick response.

So, sometimes, upon booting up, my laptop just boots to a black screen, although everything else (the trackpad, the keys) are lit up.  I have to do a hard reboot to solve the problem.  I've had this laptop fixed once already, because the fan was overheating.  This is the SECOND Alienware laptop that I've gotten that's had screen issues.

I would love a fix for this or a NEW laptop.  I'm awfully disappointed in this 4k$ investment.

Thanks in advance.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 1st, 2018 13:00

Hi @Adalani,

Make sure the BIOS is up to date. 

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostic test on the system, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run this test. Let us know if you receive any errors. 

August 1st, 2018 21:00

Hey man, I got the same problem, manage to fix it by going to device manager and disable the Intel GPU

4 Posts

August 6th, 2018 11:00

Will that affect the performance of my laptop, in a bad way?

4 Posts

August 6th, 2018 11:00

I Do have the most recent BIOS, but I always get notifications to update it. However, even when I update it - again - I keep getting notifications to do the exact same update. I did the screen test many times and found nothing wrong. 

4 Posts

August 26th, 2018 11:00

Since I haven't gotten a response in a while, I will post an update.

For a while, I was certain that the problem was my Western Digital MyPassport external hard drive that was causing the boot up issues.  After having unplugged it from my laptop and tested out my laptop a few times, it seemed to have been running fine.  However, the same problem occurred today, but I don't have my external hard drive connected to my laptop.

The only cause I can think of would be the fact that the new I bought has an integrated USB hub, which I connected to my laptop, and connected my mouse and headset to said hub.

I'm on the verge of completely reinstalling Windows, but I want to see if there is anything I can do before I have to resort to that.

19 Posts

August 27th, 2018 12:00

Hi there,

I can try helping you out but could you give me some more info on the situation? where in the boot process are you experiencing this issue? is it after the BIOS posts or before that? I'm using the same model of laptop and dont experience the issue, so if you could also link your specs that may help as some cpu's can be OC'd on this model and we want to rule out any variables for instability.

For the sake of it i would unplug any peripherals you have connected, reboot into safe mode and see if you still experience the issue.

Additionally you can also set the default values in the bios (although keep in mind this may cause the system to not boot depending on how its configured)

Heres a guide on how you can get into safe mode: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Regarding the above comment to disable your intel gpu in windows device manager, you can definitely try this and it may help. You shouldnt notice a performance difference as the system will just use your Nvidia Geforce gpu instead and its only for testing so this affect may only be temporary.

1 Message

September 4th, 2018 02:00

I have the same issue. I have Alienware 17 R4. run all support assistant found nothing. I came up with a solution of my own so that the hard resetting doesn't damage ur system.

I am assuming u have face ID on

when the black screen happens next time, just let the system run. Get in front of the screen for face ID recognition(tobbi eye tracking light will blink) . after it all sets up with still black screen just press and release the power button and don't long press it for hard reset. This will put ur system to sleep. Wait for 5 seconds and press the power button again. Now ur system should boot up just fine. I know its not a permanent solution as dell don't have a solution for us on this problem, but this process will not damage ur system for sure.

1 Message

December 4th, 2018 18:00

I have the same problem.  My BIOS is up to date and I have no peripherals attached to my system.  After starting the Red lights for the eye tracker system are on and the system beeps but it says on the black screen.  I usually do a hard reboot and the second time it works.  I will try the sleep option and see if that works as well.  I am wondering if it is an issue with the eye tracker.

December 4th, 2018 23:00

If your PC powers on to a black screen. Simple fix... Close the lid, and open it again.... I get it here and there, used to get it a LOT on my ASUS.

It's a glitch as far as im aware in laptops.

1 Message

April 11th, 2019 02:00

I have the same laptop as you and I HIGHLY recommend avoiding this plagued machinery at all cost. I dumped 3k into it and have had nothing but one issue after another. They ship with a horrendous paste job on the gpu which I've had to fix and it still overheats. Accent lights, new deck lid, inoperative track pad, name it and I've probably dealt with it short of replacing vital components. For the black screen that happens normally after, what I've come to dread, an update, you have to take the bottom cover off and remove the two RAM sticks and reseat them. I've had to do this multiple times now and it's the only thing that works for me. Stupid alienware.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 11th, 2019 11:00

Hi @Brian W. 

If you need help with your system, send me a private message with your Service Tag so I can review your case.

1 Message

April 17th, 2019 08:00

I also have the same issue and closing and opening lid helps. However, I think it might be better to get a public solution or an update.

I've got Alienware 17 R5 though.

2 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 06:00

I have an 17 R3 that does the same thing and has since I purchased it new.  I have to basically open the lid after a reboot and then it will cycle a very quick reboot a few times to the black screen. Once the Alienware LED lights up I know its good, I can then close the lid and will boot to win 10 fine. The problem occurs before anything would normally display on the screen.  I assume it has something to do with the graphics amplifier because I do not notice the problem when I am not connected to it.

One other thing I noticed is that the speakers make a loud sort of Buzz noise at full volume right as it reboots from the black screen. Scares the **bleep** out of me if windows does a reboot in the middle of the night for patches.

4 Posts

December 27th, 2019 08:00

Hi Eimy

i hope this message finds you well, I came across this feed while trying to troubleshoot an issue I have with a Alienware  M17 x r4.

The laptop has been working fine for ages but the screen started to go abit pixilated like the cable on a desktop wasn’t pushed in correctly, then the screen went black. When you restart the laptop the screen doesn’t come on at all it just flickers different black, there is no bios beep. I took out the bios to see if confirm if motherboard is ok and get a bios beep without ram. .

Anything you recommend I check ? Do you think it will require a new graphics card/ motherboard? 
Also can I get it for repair if so how much 

many thanks 

Alex 

9 Posts

January 6th, 2020 19:00

As of 2020. My old Alienware mx15 still show the black screen. How old is my laptop? It’s so old that it doesn’t have HDMI when I bought it. Like 10yr ago. I think this is a major issue with Alienware laptop. I bought mine new, after a few months. The black screen. Been searching for like 10 years n still no fix. I should of return my it when I still have the chance. I say, return ur laptop n never look back. Don’t buy another alienware/dell product. Just now, I toss the laptop. I was up all day trying to fix/reboot it. Still black screen. It was running window 7 FYI.

No Events found!