Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

January 12th, 2018 15:00

18 R1, GPU overheating fans not spinning up

As stated above, my GPU will climb over 80c and the fans don't come on.  It seems that the GPU fans are tied to the CPU fan.  When it spins-up so do they.

13 Posts

January 15th, 2018 07:00

Thanks for the reply.  

I'm on the latest firmware (A12) and I am using HWinfo64 to control the fans.  The problem is, I shouldn't have to rely on third party applications to make my system function properly.    

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 15th, 2018 07:00

Hi @Ihalterman,

Update the BIOS to the latest. 

Also, you can use apps like SpeedFan or HWInfo to manually control the fans. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 15th, 2018 11:00

We understand. The BIOS fan tables change from one BIOS version to another. They're optimized to work with your system and cause no heat issues. Even when they come on at high temps, they're still managing to keep the heat without a problem. Hence, they're capable of keeping your PC unharmed, if the automatic settings are not satisfying for you, there's always the chance to use such the 3rd party software apps.

13 Posts

January 22nd, 2018 07:00

Then why/how did one of my GPUs over heat and die?

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

June 17th, 2021 16:00

Hello. I understand your GPU has died and would recommend replacing them with a dual 780M configuration or maybe 980M since those are way more than capable to run games now a days.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

June 17th, 2021 16:00

I also recommend downloading SpeedFan since you can simply specify what temperature you don’t want for the CPU or GPU and then it’ll ramp up the speeds if it reaches that and will run full speed if it goes over.

No Events found!