Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

8 Posts

October 14th, 2018 23:00

Alienware Aurora R4 - No Audio after 1809 Update

Alienware Aurora R4, Factory Build. Windows 10 Professional. Realtek factory motherboard.

-

As soon as this Windows 10 update dropped, the sound stopped working completely. However, I didn't have "No Audio Device Input" found as mostly everyone else did that had sound issues. My speaker icon would show correctly, then at random intervals, show a red "X" and state "The Audio service is not running." It would then go back to the normal icon.

When you click on any media such as a video or music, the player will hang and freeze. Games will not run.

One person suggested I try to reinstall my sound drivers. This seemed to work once (though it didn't work the first time; it took 3 reinstalls for it to finally work). However, when my computer restarted earlier this evening, it was back to not working again.

I tried to do a point restore, but I'm getting an unspecified error and cannot do any point restores.

I'm pretty much gearing up to do a hard reset and/or clean wipe, but I'm not sure if this will fix this.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 16th, 2018 14:00

@Blueoriontiger wrote:

Alienware Aurora R4, Factory Build. Windows 10 Professional. Realtek factory motherboard.

-

1. As soon as this Windows 10 update dropped, the sound stopped working completely.

2. I'm pretty much gearing up to do a hard reset and/or clean wipe, but I'm not sure if this will fix this.

1. I think just a coincidence, (but v1809 has been a rough release).

Just use the bundled Realtek audio drivers from Windows-10 64bit (and Windows Update). Realtek is VERY common so it's not likely the drivers are bad or even incompatible.

I wonder if you disabled it in BIOS, booted to Windows . Uninstall all audio driver-suites. Device Manager is clean (and with no audio-device). Then re-enable and watch it PnP and load Microsoft driver on next boot.

2. Yeah. You could always just try real-quick on a spare HDD/SSD (with your live-one temporarily disconnected).

October 17th, 2018 22:00

I had some luck, and its went to worse again. Long story short, there's a dumb driver that Microsoft keeps installing with the update. Every time you uninstall it and give it the correct driver, it will try to run the update all over again. System Restores are bonkers and didn't fix the issue at all, unfortunately.

The good luck was a Microsoft support person was temporarily able to fix the problem, and it worked for a good bit until the system restarted when I was away and did the update. So it's possible to fix without a wipe, but I have to see exactly what was done for it to be repaired.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 18th, 2018 12:00

@Blueoriontiger wrote:

System Restores are bonkers and didn't fix the issue at all, unfortunately.

I think you can stop trying those. They hardly ever work (including with simpler problems than this). 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 18th, 2018 14:00

@Blueoriontiger wrote:

to fix without a wipe, 

Nuke-and-Pave (wipe and clean-install) is just a test to check your hardware (namely the motherboard).

No Events found!