Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

December 11th, 2019 10:00

Alienware HDMI port replacement

Hi guys, my name is alex. I hope this post is legit by community rules and standards. 
I am trying to repair my Alienware M17 R3 laptop's HDMI-out port. 
The HDMI port, on the inside of the laptop, is loose and possibly broken.
As a result I can't connect my laptop to any TV or monitor using HDMI.

I've sent the laptop to a local lab and they've said they're missing a part that's hard to find. Apparently, in this model, the HDMI port from the inside does not sit directly on the board but is a little higher, sitting on some specific part that connects its base to the rest of the system. The local lab can't seem to get that specific part anywhere, and I can't find it online.

Does anybody know what this part is called and where can I find it, or even some part that contains it even though it might be more expensive? If I can purchase it myself, my local lab would install it for me.

Also, do you guys have any idea as to what to do in the meantime? I need to connect my laptop to the tv in order to work and game properly. I'm using a USB-c-type to HDMI adapter, but this won't do for gaming, as it does not use the laptop's NVIDIA 980M graphics card to run the display, and is only good for low-effort graphics.I though maybe there was an adapter from the "graphics amplifier" port right next to the HDMI on the back, to standard HDMI. Do you guys know of something like that? Will that work as a valid HDMI out using the NVIDIA graphics card?

Thanks anyway.

No Responses!
No Events found!