Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 1st, 2019 16:00

Alienware m15 TPM chip?

Anyone know if the new Alienware m15 has a TPM chip?

11 Posts

January 2nd, 2019 23:00

I have a Alienware m15 with Windows 10 Pro which I'm using bitlocker and it does not require a password.

In the Windows settings there is also TPM settings.

11 Posts

January 1st, 2019 18:00

It does

3 Posts

January 1st, 2019 20:00

got a link or a source? 

Dell sales says it doesn't a few forums say it does.  do you have one?

19 Posts

January 2nd, 2019 07:00

It does have a TPM 2.0 chip and the Intel ME until Alienware and Dell released the 1.4.4 bios update which broke both with no repair for a year.

Dell released a 1.6.1 bios update which doesn’t fix either as my device manager shows a fault with TPM 2.0 (code 10) and my Intel ME is showing as unknown. 

Tried ringing UK Dell support and they denied bios 1.4.4 ever existed. It’s been nearly a year so don’t expect it to be fixed anytime soon.

it would be great to hear an official response on how to repair though for those out of warranty.

to be sure yours has tpm, just hit F2 on boot screen and look for the TPM option on the bios settings. If it’s there, it has it.

3 Posts

January 2nd, 2019 17:00

Haven't got one yet, looking at purchasing.

just confirming @BasherWalls you are talking about the m15.

It was only released in Oct 2018...

19 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 00:00

According to Microsoft website all PC’s and Laptops since 2016 MUST have TPM on the device to be compatible with the Windows 10 guidelines

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/oem-tpm

Since the M15 is a newer device then you would like to think that Dell have followed the minimum guidelines for a Windows 10 computer.

My laptop is the Alienware 13 R2 so it’s not the same but I did look into the issue online for the person asking the question. My Laptop doesn’t have TPM anymore since the 1.4.4 bios update as Dell issued a badly tested Bios and still have not fixed computers they broke.

Maybe a Dell moderator would confirm the TPM on the M15 but I would say yes as Microsoft do say it’s a requirement.

January 9th, 2020 14:00

There are 2 types of TPM one that uses a chip and one that uses software. The m15 has the software version.

January 9th, 2020 14:00

The standard bitlocker setup is pretty horrible. For better security settings you can open gpedit and edit the security settings for bitlocker to make it more secure. Having it require a password to unlock the drive during boot is one of the many options. You can also change the encryption. The automatic one is 128 bit AES, in gpedit you can change it to the higher 256 bit AES. 

Why windows makes it more complicated then it has to be is beyond me. To view the full settings for the TPM and bitlocker or the full settings for anything windows use gpedit. Especially if you use windows security for AV.

No Events found!