Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

2 Posts

May 20th, 2020 12:00

Area-51m R1, CPU and GPU upgrade, #2

Dear Dell,

i bought alienware area 51m for (future proof) laptop, but today intel release (i9 10th gen - Processor) but it is not compatible for this motherboad, then i dont know about the DELL FORM FACTOR for Graphics card wether it will upgradble or not ?? still dell didnt announced anything yet. Dell Customer's buying your products for your 100% assurance. but today all dell customers are feeling bad on this product especially (Area51M).

2 Posts

May 20th, 2020 13:00

what is the point ? i need dell to reply this...

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

May 20th, 2020 13:00

Any CPU upgrade beyond the 9th generation will require a new mainboard, since Intel has released a new socket type (these are standard desktop CPUs).  Essentially it'll be no different than any other notebook these days - you will need a new board to go with a new CPU, same as if the CPU were soldered as it is on most notebooks.  That was an Intel decision (the new socket, that is).

The internal GPUs are of a proprietary design, so they'll need to come from Dell -- no one else makes them.  The "upgradeable" statement mentions the availability of a the Alienware graphics amplifier external GPU, so that may be another option.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

May 20th, 2020 14:00

Dell have already come out and said that the new 51M R2 cards will not be compatible with the R1. They seem to be blaming Nvidia but it seems that it's their design that has changed.

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 11:00

Can we trade old for new and top up money can we upgrade the mother board to the r2 with the r2 cpu ?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

July 22nd, 2020 12:00

Take a look at what your wireless provider offers you to trade a year old $1000+ phone for a new one and you'll see why that's not a practical option, even if it's offered.

If you want the latest model, you're better off selling the existing one yourself and buying the new one separately.  You might get 50% of what you paid for the system that way - vs. probably 25-30% on a trade up.

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 13:00

i don't mind selling it for $2k usd i bought it for $4k but only issue i don t live in the US or UK  so this why i bought this so in future i can just order parts and upgrade it but since dell stabbed us in the back nothing much we can do the least they could do for us is sell us the r2 mother board and cpu and advise if we can use the r2 mother board in the r1 laptop?

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 22nd, 2020 17:00

Don’t buy the R2 because of intels Socket changed from 1151 to 1200 then for the 11 gen it’ll be the 1700 socket which is confirmed.

The DGFF or dell graphics form factor is pretty bad, I mean you can’t even put the 3000 series in the R1 or the R2 because of this form factor. I personally like the MXM Factor because companies like Eurocom make the new graphics cards into that form factor.

I have an Alienware 18 from 2015 that has the 4940MX with 32Gb of DDR3 RAM and a RTX 2080 with 8Gb of VRAM And it’s the full desktop one.

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 03:00

yeah i guess the next time will just have to end up buying from digital storm real sad news only reason i bought this so i could upgrade the cpu now i am stuck to 1 cpu 

ram and cpu are my main concerns anyways

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 23rd, 2020 07:00

Thank you for the judo.

No Events found!