Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

11 Posts

May 31st, 2019 13:00

Area-51m, keyboard stopped working

Hi All,

My Area 51m keyboard randomly gave out on me the other day, with no hints as to what caused it. The computer was updating either the AWCC update, or an intel chipset update (my apologies, i'm not sure which as I've tried reinstalling a few things multiple times since and my memory is jumbled) while i was attempting to set up my oculus rift, which i use daily. 

At some point during this, i noticed the keyboard lights were not on, and when i tried to use the keyboard it was completely unresponsive. I've tried reinstalling my drives (for just about everything) with no luck. 

Has anyone experienced this before? I have an open service request to replace the keyboard (thank god for warranty), but am a little nervous to have this taken down to the nuts and bolts for the work to be done (keyboard is the first thing installed during assembly..). Is it common? is there something I can try to fix it? any tips would be helpful. 

May 31st, 2019 15:00

My machine just started having the exact same issue. Looking forward to hearing an answer.

11 Posts

May 31st, 2019 23:00

So my repair tech arrived earlier than expected, it did turn out to be a bad keyboard. He had to tear it down to the nuts and bolts, replace the keyboard panel, and everything fired up like normal after re-assembly. 

If you're experiencing the same, it's likely you got a faulty board as well... doesn't really inspire confidence in a laptop I spent an unholy amount of money for... but I'm pretty happy I went with a solid warranty.

Please update the thread when you find out what's causing your issues, I'm curious if this is going to be a repeat issue or something others run in to as well. Might be the keyboards are a bad design, but I'm hoping I just got unlucky the first time around. 

4 Posts

June 8th, 2019 04:00

Having the same issue, no light no keyboard, happened during an update. if its about a bad keyboard, why does it happen during an update? pretty annoying

11 Posts

June 8th, 2019 15:00

Yeah, not sure why it happens during an update but it drove me nuts trying to troubleshoot/reinstall drivers and softwares. Run the online tools from Alienware and if they don't help/the keyboard doesn't register, just call support for a warranty repair. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 10th, 2019 09:00

Hi @emreero,

Send me a private message (by clicking my Alienware-name) with the Alienware PC service tag number so I can assist you further.

4 Posts

June 10th, 2019 15:00

Someone from support team spent couple of hours with it(kudos to him), i've spent 2 days before, uninstalled/reinstalled pretty much everything couple of times, no successful outcome, very frustrating.

They told me there's that command center bug causes the issues with light, but for the keyboard part is unclear, hardware does not respond at all.

They'll replace the keyboard, we'll see if it solves the problem.

I'll keep this thread updated.

P.S: This command center software is an adventure itself :), can not be installed/uninstalled easily, does not throw any exceptions for executing/installing errors yet sometimes it gets stuck for some reasons, and it can cause fatal errors!  And to be able to fully uninstall it, you use regedit and you delete folders manually.

It's 2019 folks, it's ok to throw exceptions for software errors, and whatever you do manually with registeries & app folders, you can do it in your code :)

4 Posts

June 17th, 2019 09:00

So, still waiting for the keyboard, looks like it'll take couple of weeks to see IF it solves the problem. (changed the warranty country, they don't have this keyboard here). There's a chance that it does not solve the problem (it may also be a mainboard issue etc).

Imagine you buy a cutting edge machine, and not being able to use it for something that is not your fault but ALIENWARE's fault.

This is a really bad product experience.

P.S: I don't blame support people they are good, but the product itself is a bad experience.

11 Posts

June 17th, 2019 14:00

I have to agree with you on that... I've never spent this much on a laptop, and thought I was buying a 'worry free' machine for the most part. Within 1 month having a major component fail? All I can say is i'm really glad I got the warranty, because I feel like I'm going to need it. 

Not sure how the update is tanking the keyboard, but I'm going to be VERY careful when updating from now on... works great, when it's working. 

Keep me posted, I'm curious if your issue ends up being the same as mine (sounds identical).

4 Posts

June 27th, 2019 11:00

So, someone from the support came and replaced the keyboard, this solved the keyboard issue.

But the backlights, alienware sign ligths, touchpad lights are still not working. It's been 3 weeks, and counting

So the support made me uninstall/reinstall everything, which solved nothing, then they asked me to  install a clean windows copy while deleting partitions.I told them that the touchpad lights are controlled on bios level, and the lights don't function even before executing windows code and this will solve nothing. But i did what they asked.

Guess what, i deleted partitions, reinstalled everything, and it solved nothing. I just lost another day of work, that's it.

Now they ask me to send the computer to Germany.

I requested an onsite technician to replace the other parts, they refused. Refund, they refused. I asked them if i'll get a refund if the problem persists after sending this to germany, they didn't promise a refund.

Asked another computer while this one is away, they refused.

So basically, i spent 1 month waiting for this computer, 1 month using it, and 1 month trying to solve the issues they are unable to solve and it's still counting.

Do not buy alienware, it's an expensive torture.

2 Posts

June 30th, 2019 11:00

Same just happened to me. I used the ePSA feature and it's just not detecting any input from the onboard keyboard.

11 Posts

July 1st, 2019 16:00

keep us posted in the thread as to what the problem/solution ends up being. Mine has been working since the repair without issue, but I'm curious. 

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

July 19th, 2019 16:00

I just recieved my laptop last week, and I'm experiencing several issues.

1. Alienware Control Center won't update.  

2. My laptop's keyboard is now randomly not responding.  I have to restart the system to get it to work.

3. The Touchpad randomly jumps around.  

All the drivers have been updated.  Personally, I'm very disappointed.  At this price point my expectation was high. I'm considering sending the machine back and going with some of the other (less expensive) options I was considering before. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 22nd, 2019 07:00

Hi @Qvox

We're very sorry for the bad experience you have had so far, please send me a private message (by clicking my Alienware-name) with the Alienware PC service tag number so I can review your case.

1 Message

August 5th, 2019 13:00

check command center if they light up on boot then nothing i ran into this problem when i installed my own ssd and windows 10 1903 then bios update no keyboard period uninstalled command center installed first version then i notices the keyboard in differnt tab clicked it and there it was so story short the command center is not like it use to be good luck with this new venture

1 Message

September 16th, 2019 04:00

I encountered this issue on my 2019 M15 R2. I fixed it by

1. Uninstall Alienware Command Centre via Control Panel > Uninstall A Program.
2. Re-install Alienware Command Centre via the download link on this page: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=r87yn

I encountered this issue just after I'd closed a session of Metro: Exodus. This game does some custom stuff with the keyboard (lighting up red when you're on low health for example). I'm not sure if that's related but thought I'd note it.

No Events found!