Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2020 11:00

Dear Dell: Why can't I upgrade my Intel 530 drivers and why are lying to me?

I have an Alienware 17 R4. Recently, I noticed that in windows the computer was VERY slow, especially when I was hooking the laptop to my TV through an HDMI cable. Mind you when I say Windows, I mean browsing in Google Chrome.

I run a DXdiag and I found that the Intel 530 integrated graphics card's drivers were since 2016! I said no problem I will update my drivers. Indeed Intel has the newest version of their drivers released in just two weeks ago in January 16 2020 ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29335/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=88345 )

shame on you 2.jpg

When you are trying to download said drivers though, Intel tells me "Your system runs a proprietary driver and you need to update it through the manufacturer. Alright, went to Dell's site and the Assistant software told me that the latest driver had been updated in 2019! Okay! not the latest version but still new!

Then I noticed that the driver version was the same, with the one I had. From 2016 - see picture.

shame on you.jpg

So, basically Dell

• Lies to me about the release date of the driver, it's not 2017 it's 2016

• Tries to convolute me further by telling me "the driver has been updated in 2019"

• Doesn't allow me to update my drivers of the product I bought from Intel because they think they will do a better job while clearly the don't?

Dear Community what are my options in this?

• Can I completely disable the integrated intel graphics card and make it use the GTX 1080?

• Can I somehow install the newest version of the integrated graphics card from Intel?

Thank you for your time.

14 Posts

February 5th, 2020 13:00

On some PC's you need to get rid of the Dell Driver and do this manually then after that it will work. So go download the latest driver and then go to device manager and remove the driver and software and go straight after that and cut internet off then reboot. "If you don't disable internet Windows will install a driver for you" Now install your new driver. The driver needs to be in zip format and installed manually. After this you will be able to use Intel drivers but on some laptops this is not recommended. Maybe this helps you maybe it helps someone else so I just thought I would leave it here.

2 Posts

February 6th, 2020 06:00

Thanks it seem that this worked. I didn't even need to disable the driver before hand, I just 

• Downloaded the zip file with the driver. 
  • Went to device manager
  • Selected the graphics card -> update driver -> Point it to the location of the driver.

The update went smoothly. Which means that the driver could be installed just fine and Dell just made me go through all that for no particular reason. 

Why do they fill their laptops with all those propriety stuff? It's just a driver Dell, let me install it. Is there a way to completely disable the intel card? 

1 Message

May 21st, 2020 17:00

I'd love an explanation too. All I can think of is that if stability is Dell's goal instead of performance, they might want to exert some control of what the average user can do to potentially mess up their system. That could make sense for models aimed at businesses.  But that doesn't make sense for an Alienware device. 

No Events found!