Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 13th, 2019 03:00

Area-51m, freezing from time to time

my brand new alienware Area-51m is freezing from time to time , like hanging for a few seconds, it is random.

I know its not normal, I have been searching for a fix, but so far nothing that works.

I would like to know if the problem is from alienware .. or from windows 10?

would like / need to know if anyone is having / experiencing these issues...

and how to fix it

January 10th, 2020 23:00

Yeah i'm having the Exact Same issue. A complete system lockup for 2 - 3 Seconds, Fan speeds stay Consistent, But i notice after the lockup, my temps have dropped down to almost idle, as though the Load completely dissipated. Im also not keen on a complete Format, as i believe it shouldn't be necessary on such a high end Machine.

We can see the system came with an i9-9900K processor. Once the system reaches out certain temperature, the CPU will throttle in order to reduce the temps and dial back the clock speed in order to maintain stability, this random 2-3 seconds lockups can happen while the unit is stabilizing itself, so it's expected.
DELL-Cares

September 14th, 2019 03:00

1) Open the bottom plate and make sure everything is securely connected properly
2) Check for Bios Updates
3) Check for nVidia Drivers

4) Run system scan through Support Assist for hardware
5) Download trial for 3D Mark Fire Strike and run that off of Steam

See if it gets you anywheres.

14 Posts

September 14th, 2019 04:00

thanks @HellsDisciples 

1) Open the bottom plate and make sure everything is securely connected properly
2) Check for Bios Updates DONE
3) Check for nVidia Drivers DONE

4) Run system scan through Support Assist for hardware DONE results showing that everything is perfect
5) Download trial for 3D Mark Fire Strike and run that off of Steam DONE smooth rtx 2080 , nice results

the issue or issues are that the pointer mouse arrow stops on the screen for a bit, a second or two and then jumps

or the screen freezes / hangs for a second , two or up to three

at least once every couple of hours

everything else works perfectly in general

September 16th, 2019 07:00

Strange... what are you doing at the time, sounds like something hardware acceleration for the mouse.

14 Posts

September 16th, 2019 10:00

I mean, everything freezes not only the mouse. it is like for two or three seconds the laptop gets unresponsive and it is random, different hours, days, crazy I hope I will find a fix because after spending this amount of money in a brand supposedly perfect for gaming..... well I don't game... nevertheless for work is annoying

14 Posts

September 16th, 2019 14:00

i9 9900k 2 tb SSD 64 RAM gtx 2080

September 16th, 2019 14:00

SSD or mechanical drive?

23 Posts

September 18th, 2019 08:00

Hi Revitpro, I too had the problem of locking the mouse and keyboard while working on the machine (technically of the whole system). The only help I got from the assistance was to send the car to their repair center (LoL a brand new car!). Here's how I think I solved my problem. In my case I installed two M2 in Raid0, but I can very well carry out the procedure with the single disk. Download the latest version of Windows 10 from the microsoft site. Use rufis3.7 to create a flash drive with UEFI, format EVERYTHING, or delete any type of Dell partition for restoring their system and install in new O.S. Once the installation is finished it blocks the windows updates that are causing a lot of system problems and downloads all the drivers from the official Dell site.

I have some hypotheses about the problem of the two / three second system blocks. It could be the system loaded by dell to cause these problems or the windows updates (pach and fix) after the May 2019 update. So currently I use a clean windows system (May2019) with blocked updates and all the drivers downloaded from the Dell site, obviously excluding the Nvidia drivers of which I have used the latest ones released on the market. I hope I've been helpful, good luck!

14 Posts

September 18th, 2019 09:00

thanks bearewake ... maybe I will try that ... the thing is that I really don't want to reinstall all the stuff ... 🤬 ... it is a really big shame for a famous company to sell their products barelly ok ... I have paid almost a "lung" for my laptop ... and the last thing you expect is that it is going to have issues ... that it is going to be "glitching" and "freezing" and ".." ... whaaa ? ...🤬 > I mean: I can live with this... but why??

23 Posts

September 18th, 2019 10:00

I'm not here having to defend Dell, since I paid for a product that at first seemed to have major problems. But you have to take into account many factors. One of the many are the installed components, the GPU and the CPU are components designed for desktops that differ so much from laptop components, and as you can see I can create some problems initially. I hope you understand my speech (I use a LoL translator).

Having said that I think the problem (I'm not sure) can come directly from the operating system, it is possible that unbeknownst to them there is a string of win10 code that creates these problems for the product. Try to do what I told you you will see that with a little patience everything is resolved, I have done so! furthermore there is a major update on the GPU firmware (driver dell) carried out after you have reacted with the procedure that I told you. I recommend no updates for a month LoL

I think the products are similar or even the same:
A51m >>> Intel i9 - 64gb Ram - Samsung M2 x2 Raid0 - Nvidia 2080 8Gb.

436 Posts

September 18th, 2019 18:00

Uninstall in Windows the Touchpad software. This is a known issue with many Alienware laptops - buggy touchpad software.

14 Posts

September 19th, 2019 02:00

thanks pdschweitzer but... do you mean uninstall the touchpad ... and then reinstall it ... or uninstallit . (don't use it anymore?)

436 Posts

September 19th, 2019 03:00

Uninstall the touchpad software and leave it uninstalled

14 Posts

September 19th, 2019 04:00

pdschweitzer

..... nooo .... why ???

but I do need it working

No Events found!