Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2020 05:00

M15x R1, crashes when plugged in to power

Hey,

I have a 2011 Alienware M15x R1 and runs normal when not plugged in to power. But when I plug it into the wall it crashes and will keep doing a boot loop until I unplug it?

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

October 17th, 2021 19:00

Do a full power drain.

hold power until it shuts off.

unplug battery and CMOS battery.

Hold the power button for 30 seconds.

then plug the Battery back in and CMOS too.

then turn on the laptop with the ac adapter.

• 

25.7K Posts

October 12th, 2020 23:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

October 13th, 2020 16:00

Hello. The M15x was released in 2009 and the M14x was from 2011. Did you have the M14x R1?

The first thing to do would be to try another power adapter. For your laptop you would need a 150W or 180W adapter but anything with the same plug will be good for testing.

You can also try removing the battery and then see what happens when you try powering from the adapter.

Another simple thing to try is a power drain. Remove the adapter and battery and hold the power button down for 30-60 seconds to drain all the residual power from the board. Insert the adapter again and test. Then plug the battery back in.

It may crash too soon but you can also try running the pre-boot diagnostic. Press f12 while booting to get into the boot menu. You can select the Diagnostic from here and it will run tests on all your hardware. 

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

October 13th, 2020 17:00

Hi @Brandonbov  thank you for sharing. Seems the power socket in the laptop is at fault and shorting out when the charger's plug is inserted. This is reinforced when you say that the system tries to boot, but fails to complete POST. Take the rear panel off, disconnect the battery, unplug charger from ac mains. Then have a look at how the charger plug and laptop socket are responding to one another as the plug is inserted and withdrawn. This should confirm which one, or both is the problem and should be replaced. If you see damage or smell burning, this should confirm the source of the fault. 

Taking the rear panel off does not invalidate your Dell warranty. 

October 17th, 2021 18:00

Hey sorry for the late reply, at the time i ended up getting a new laptop but still have this M15x sitting here collecting dust... Iv looked at the port and it does seem to be that as its solid... I can charge the laptop for 2-3 hours till full then use the laptop unplugged, then when i plug the charger in 5-10 seconds later in decides to crash... Im still stumped

October 18th, 2021 00:00

Cool cool I’ll have to take a look, Battery and charging cable are new since I thought they were the issue, but still have the same issue

Hey there I’m gonna give this a try, pushed the wrong but hasn’t solved my issue yet

2 Intern

• 

154 Posts

So, the good thing is that machine works fine. Yes.
Too much power?
Sounds like either the power adapter, or the on-board power regulator.
Odd, I have also heard of Alienware's acting erratically when the battery is at/near end-of-life.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

October 19th, 2021 05:00

Wait so the power drain did not work? Then who accepted my solution because I didnt do it?

2 Intern

• 

154 Posts

October 19th, 2021 11:00

This system is 10 years old? You may want to talk to Dell Tech Support directly. One of the moderator's replied to you below. Try replying to him directly through your Dell email account (top-right of this screen).

October 19th, 2021 12:00

The computer is solved hence the solved in this post, thanks for your un necessary reply

October 19th, 2021 12:00

Don’t think I have lol don’t need everyone 2 cents I’m already on the edge that it’s not fixable and going in the garbage, so be it🤷🏼‍ Like you said it’s over 10 years old

No Events found!