Start a Conversation

Unsolved

3 Posts

April 8th, 2021 20:00

M17 R3 Very loud fan noise picked by microphone

I just got a new M17 M3 today and as soon as I started playing a game with my friends they complained about a weird noice they were hearing. The noise comes from my laptop fan and it's pretty intence. I just tested it myself with a sound recorder and this is not pretty. When the fan goes off that's fine, no more noise.

I'm sure that kind of noise could be filtered out with a good noise canceling algorith at driver level. Why is it not the case with a high end laptop like this?

Does anyone has a solution for this issue other than buying a pair of headset with good noise canceling?

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

April 8th, 2021 21:00

Hi @Mathieu80  from your description, the fan has a manufacture fault and/or the m17 R3 has been damaged during laptop fabrication. Dell quality control should have fixed this fault before it left the factory. If within 30 days of date on invoice, Reject and request new replacement system. 

3 Posts

April 8th, 2021 21:00

Hi crimsom,

Thanks for the quick response.

I maybe exagerated the noice... I think this is normal fan noice, but it was not cancelled much.

I went in Realtek Audio Console and found other noise suppression option.

1. Noise suppression was already checked.
  2. Beam forming wasn't checked by default and it helped a little bit.
  3. AEC wasn't checked by default and it had the most effect of removing the fan noise. 

I will keep this thread updated after I ear comments from my friends.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

April 9th, 2021 06:00

Are you using the system mic or using a headphone with a mic?

Have you tried using another headphone with a mic to check if the issue persists?

Please try recording & check if you can hear the fan noise?

Have you tried a different application to check if the issue persists?

3 Posts

April 9th, 2021 09:00

Hi,

I use Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones. They are bluetooth as you may know. In Windows there are 2 output devices showing up: Headset and Headphones. To get good sound quality, I select Headphones in output device and I use the laptop Realtek microphone as input device. I cannot use Headphones with the headphones microphone... That doesn't allow both. When I select Headset I can use the microphone from the headset, but sound quality is not good at all (that was the case on my previous laptop a Dell G5). 

I must admin I didn't try Headsets with my new M17 and while I'm writing this, I see that the Bluetooth firmware from the M17 is LMP 10.9754 witch should allow Bluetooth Core Specification 5.1 and BT 5 should allow good quality bidirectional audio.

https://www.howtogeek.com/354321/why-bluetooth-headsets-are-terrible-on-windows-pcs/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-bluetooth-version-is-on-my-pc-f5d4cff7-c00d-337b-a642-d2d23b082793

I will certainly test that out tonight.

Thanks everyone!

1 Message

July 7th, 2022 19:00

Same problem here.  Everything is find when using a headset, but during meetings without the headset the people on the other end complain.  Generally it seems to overheat easily.  I've had Dell out twice to look at it and replace parts (fans, heat sinks etc).  I've just figured it is a feature of this laptop and I might look somewhere other than Dell for my next one.

No Events found!