Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Y

3 Posts

August 20th, 2019 16:00

M17 r2 trouble after receiving second brand new computer

I bought a Alienware m17 i9 32 gig 4k, basically a 5k+ $ computer and the first one had heat problem and something with the i9. After 3h of distance troubleshooting, they booked a service call but after waiting a day at home on the scheduled date, missing college right in the end of my school session, they never showed up.

After that, I learn it was not their fault because the parts necessary to repair A BRAND NEW MAXED OUT 5000+$ computer was backorder and I had to wait 2 months or send the computer back for them to repair it. Since I needed this computer for school and work, I couldn't simply send it back without knowing when I would have it back. So they send me a second BRAND NEW COMPUTER and still having issues. Drivers update not installing, bright spot in the screen and still running 100°C without no reason. Dell says it's normal to run at 100°C but IT IS NOT!

Just to be very clear the i9-8950hk as a maximum temperature of 100°C. Meaning the CPU is not working properly at this temperature. When the CPU goes higher than ~85/90°C, it starts throttling and therefore the framerate drop dramatically. Plus, running the i9-8950hk at a 100°C everytime I open a game or a program would damage the hardware and reduce is practical life greatly. The i9-8950hk will be able to go up to 4.8Ghz only under 50°C, which even while on idle the Alienware m17 r2 run around 45 to 65°C. Do you see the problem here?! Do you see how this is completely off?? How can you expect to make a AAA gaming laptop running two times hotter than the optimal running temperature of the CPU? Is it simply fraud or you just don't give a flying ?

Do Dell have forgotten that the quality of built is the only thing that matters since every other companies can put the exact same hardware in a computer?

If you buy a brand new car, you will expect to get something working perfectly. If we buy a brand new computer from Dell, why can't we expect something perfectly working? 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 20th, 2019 20:00

Hi, 

We are sorry to hear about your experience. Click on my name and private message me the Alienware PC service tag number, so we can review your case. 

No Events found!