Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

1 Message

June 8th, 2020 14:00

M17x R2, bricked, failed BIOS update

I have a Dell Alienware M17x R2 which failed a BIOS Upgrade and now will not boot. No BIOS Screens at all. I need to reset the BIOS Flash if that is possible. I have searched the forums and none of the procedures seem to work. There seem to be a number of procedures I have tried them all. There is no link under the memory to short to do the reset. Draining the CMOS and starting the unit with the ESC key pressed does not work. Starting with FN and ESC does not work. What is the official procedure as I have found references that there is a procedure but none of the links work so I don't know what that procedure is. None of the DELL or Alienware default recovery options seems to work which leave motherboard replacement as the final option and as its an old unit it not worth it.

1 Message

November 20th, 2020 18:00

OK 100% WORKS!!! 

Download the Bios version you need. In the bios file Dell was kind enough to also load a CRISDISK in case you go through what you went through. 

STEP 1)

Extract all the file in a WINDOWS XP OS. (NOT IN COMPATIBILITY MODE IN WINDOWS 10, 7, or 8.1.) XP SP2 or 3.  So you need a computer with XP installed. the only way.

STEP @2)

in the CRISDISK open the icon that looks like a FLOPPY DISK, then insert a FORMATTED FAT32 USB DRIVE. HIT START in WINCRIS to create the USB BIOS recovery drive.

STEP 3) 

Once the WINCRIS formats and installed the BIOS RECOVERY files put the USB DRIVE in the ESATA USB PORT.( In the center of the ESATA PORT YOU CAN INSERT A USB DRIVE). 

STEP 4)

With the ALIENWARE M17r2 OFF with battery out, Power cable out in the back, Hard Drives Out, nothing inserted in the USB ports. (ONLY THE RECOVERY DRIVE in the ESATA PORT)

PRESS AND HOLD FN KEY and the B KEY at the same time.

WHILE HOLD DOWN ON THE FN+B KEYS plug in the laptop

(do not release the FN+B keys.)

Press and HOLD THE POWER BUTTON FOR 10 seconds, then release the POWER BUTTON while STILL HOLDING THE FN+B KEYS UNTIL YOU SEE THE USB FLASHING. 

THEN RELEASE the FN and B keys and let the Bios Recovery USB drive do its thing.

After 5 to 10  minutes the computer will shutdown on its own. Then you will here the dvd drive like it used to do on a reboot and then the screen will come up and the computer is back to life. and put all your components back together and there you go. 

Good Luck and Take care.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 21st, 2020 13:00

Hi @HerbieJaytee  consult How to Recover the BIOS on a Dell Computer or Tablet. Dell Knowledge Base should help with recovery of a corrupted BIOS. There should be a system start-up check, that is enabled in the BIOS to add an auto-recovery capability to the BIOS recovery process. 

To start BIOS recovery:-

Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard until the BIOS Recovery page appears. 

On the BIOS Recovery screen, select Reset NVRAM (if available) and press the Enter key. Select Disabled and press the Enter key to save the current BIOS settings. 

Select Recover BIOS and press the Enter key to start the recovery process. 

50 Posts

November 21st, 2020 13:00

Try this :

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R6-BIOS-stuck-on-recover-BIS-after-a-failed-update/td-p/6234909

Of course you got to do it with the bios for your laptop at Dell Support.

No Events found!