Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

1 Message

August 6th, 2020 23:00

M18x R2, HDD not detected in bios

I tried to reinstal my win 10 after it crashed due to faulty update but after boot into USB I found no HDD from the 3 HDD installed (1.wd 1tb,2.samsung 500gb,3.toshiba 500gb) ,so I rebooted and entered bios by pressing F2 and found out that non of the were detected 

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 7th, 2020 12:00

So nothing was detected?

then it might be a cable issue with the Santa ports OR if the computers BIOS is corrupted or old, it might not detect all or none of them.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

August 7th, 2020 17:00

If all 3 drives cant be seen then your problem will be in the ribbon cable or connector.

The Sata ribbon cable and the motherboard connector were the only sub-par components on the M18x R2. The ribbon cable is extremely fragile and so is the connector. Just check that the cable is still seated correctly in the connector and also check that the white connector tab isn't broken. Us tweezers to carefully lift up the connector tab and then push the ribbon cable down into the connector and push the tab back down. If you lift the tab up too quickly it can pull out of the connector and snap.

Also check that the connector isn't damaged. The ribbon cable can short out and cause the connector to melt - It happened to mine and my board is currently in for repairs due to this.

The ribbon cable can also break where it bends around. Make sure you never try to straighten the cable. It is supposed to stay in the bent position and straightening it will break it.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 7th, 2020 18:00

Yours melted @mattyb3?

How does that even happen?

No offense but like I’ve never seen anything like it.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

August 7th, 2020 20:00

The ribbon cable broke from removing it too many times over the years and it shorted out the connector

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 7th, 2020 22:00

Dang man, sorry about that.

My Alienware 15 r1 had the keyboard stop working after we did the extreme cooling solution to it and the backlight still works but the keys do not.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

August 8th, 2020 00:00

Usually the keyboard and the RGB use different ribbon cables. It's possible that the keyboard ribbon cable is damaged or not seated correctly. Never had a 15 though.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 8th, 2020 06:00

Yeah, I think I’m going to sell that laptop today for $800.

Do you think that price is possible on Facebook?

No Events found!