Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2018 11:00

No boot device found.

Hi

The support system recommended that I install some updates but after resetting, it keeps saying that there is no boot device found.

Edit: I have an Alienware 14 that was running Windows 7.

May 25th, 2018 15:00

According to the computer repair guy, my hard drive was completely dead, so we just had to replace it.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

May 21st, 2018 12:00

Hi, 

Go to the Bios menu by tapping the F2 key during the initial boot sequence. In the Bios menu, go to the Boot option on the top and look for an option called Boot mode. If your boot mode is on Legacy, try switching it UEFI, then save the changes and restart the system to confirm if it boots properly. 

May 21st, 2018 13:00

Thank you for the reply!

Unfortunately, doing what you said didn’t seem to change anything.

I ran the ePSA and it said “Hard drive - not installed.” So I think that the problem is something with the hard drive.

Edit: Fail PSA v4228 Error 2000:0155. Hard Drive - Not installed

May 22nd, 2018 15:00

So I looked up tons of videos on YouTube and managed to open my laptop to see the hard drive. One of the screws attaching the hard drive to the laptop was missing with just a piece of old yellow tape instead! (Pretty shoddy work, but I don’t think this necessarily caused the issue.)

Anyway, I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable but this also didn’t change anything, so unless anyone has any suggestions, I think I will get a new hard drive.

I’ve never replaced a computer part before. Will this mean I have to buy Windows again?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 22nd, 2018 16:00

:BigSmile:

The system still is within warranty ? If yes, you can request Dell for a free hard drive replacement or repairs. 

May 22nd, 2018 18:00

Thanks for the suggestion, but the warranty has been expired for about 3 years now.

I will bring the laptop to a repair shop tomorrow to make sure it’s a hard drive problem. It’s possible that the updates I installed messed something up.

June 10th, 2020 17:00

In my case the SSD was disconnected, so plugging it back in was the solution.

No Events found!