Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

R

6 Posts

December 17th, 2019 15:00

Potential buyer wants service tag to verify if stolen

Hello,

I am trying to sell my Alienware laptop and I have a buyer who wants service code and service tag to verify if the product is stolen and to confirm specs.. Dell has advised not to give this info out. Is there another way for mew to provide that info without exposing those codes?

9 Legend

• 

12.3K Posts

December 17th, 2019 15:00

There is no way you should give that information (service tag and code) to anyone. I believe that you could go to the support page and type in your service tag then click on configuration and print that list out but remove the service tag number on that page. You can also print out the warranty information, again removing any reference to the service tag number. If the buyer is not satisfied with that then find another buyer. Besides any system that is stolen cannot be tracked by the service code. Dell has no way of knowing if a system is stolen unless it had Lojack installed and activated.

137 Posts

December 17th, 2019 21:00

Do not be afraid. You can give your laptop TAG. A buyer can only check your laptop specification and the date of warranty expiration and its details. If I bought I'd like to know. But you must be sure that you are an owner, aren't you?

Of course the laptop has to be identified to transfer ownership and warranty but it is necessary to know your registration details given by you.

see https://www.dell.com/support/assets-transfer/us/en/19/?lwp=rt#/Identify

Tag.jpg

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 18th, 2019 14:00

Bad advice--This was a request by someone NOT purchasing the computer--just looking for info. It is a bad practice to give out a service tag. Tags are private info that should not be shared.This is why it is against the forum code to post tags on the forum. A seller can say if there is any warranty left, which is doubtful if computer is over one yr old. 

From Dell's Code of Conduct--

1. Also not allowed:
      • Duplicate posts, spam messages, or posts repeated excessively on one or more boards.
      • Messages designed to evade profanity or other filters
      • Personal phone numbers or addresses (to protect privacy)
      • Service Tag numbers should not be posted publicly, these would be requested by Dell Technologies employees and would happen via Private Message only

22 Posts

December 20th, 2019 04:00

Tags shouldn't be posted,ok. And Dell controls this forum,ok. This is their request. I agree.

But it doesn't mean that I cannot pass to anyone.

I can give you many Tags of Dell products but I am still an owner all of them. Especially when someone lives in Stepantsminda (Georgia). You won't come here at all.

When you visit Dell Support you can try yourself and enter some seven-digit string. After a while I got some details various products and it took 15 minutes only.

Dell should protect it better. There should have been an additional pin or code known by owner only. 

137 Posts

December 20th, 2019 09:00

I couldn't agree more - additional protection is required if those details must be secured.

No Events found!