Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

2 Posts

March 19th, 2019 19:00

This hasn't been worth it

I've had my Alienware laptop for a little over two years now and have had purchased an extended warranty but so far everything hasn't really impressed me. I'm going to be coming up on what would be my third extended warranty (if I decide to do it) and I have already had the battery replaced twice; which trying to communicate with the technician was a delightful experience that could only be topped by his complaints about how he doesn't enjoy what he does. Back to the point though before a minor complaint turns into a rant, a battery a year doesn't seem right especially when it's as complicated as someone coming out just to put it in for you.

The fact the warranty won't cover the battery this year is another mystery to me but I was just wondering if this was normal for other Alienware users? I understand the laptop is made for gaming and it does that just fine but I could literally put this back in the box and sell it as new (as far as wear and tear / durability questions would go) so if it's something I'm doing that could be causing damage then I would be shocked. Is this the best I can look forward to or does it get better than that as far as customer service and repair/warranty practices go?

March 20th, 2019 21:00

@Ezafox wrote:

I've had my Alienware laptop for a little over two years now and have had purchased an extended warranty but so far everything hasn't really impressed me. I'm going to be coming up on what would be my third extended warranty (if I decide to do it) and I have already had the battery replaced twice; which trying to communicate with the technician was a delightful experience that could only be topped by his complaints about how he doesn't enjoy what he does. Back to the point though before a minor complaint turns into a rant, a battery a year doesn't seem right especially when it's as complicated as someone coming out just to put it in for you.

The fact the warranty won't cover the battery this year is another mystery to me but I was just wondering if this was normal for other Alienware users? I understand the laptop is made for gaming and it does that just fine but I could literally put this back in the box and sell it as new (as far as wear and tear / durability questions would go) so if it's something I'm doing that could be causing damage then I would be shocked. Is this the best I can look forward to or does it get better than that as far as customer service and repair/warranty practices go?

No, not normal. Honestly would have whatever outlit your using looked at.

My 17 R3 was fine for almost 3yrs on the same battery until UPS crushed it, being shipped back to bestbuy for a minor repair... backlight colors stopped working on the Alienware front panel display, certain colors stopped working on keys... Grounding part on the AC Cable broke off and the pleb at BestBuy tried telling me it was my battery and he had to send it out... Cost bestbuy $1000+ to fix it.. only for them to mess up on the screen.. send it back.. messed up again on my 4K Screen install (not sure why they even messed with that to begin it). Installed it properly.. then on the way back to BestBuy, it was crushed in shipping by UPS... Ended up with a new 15 R3 for $0. (GeekSquad Manager returned the $1,899 15 R3 and rebuy it then took off $200 for the warranty so I ended up paying like $100 for it total... my 17 R3 cost me $1,550.99)

My wife has the 15 R2, still on the original battery. We picked that unit up in 2016 and still going strong as it was 3/2/16 from Bestbuy. No real issues, minus a missing key my son tore off when he was a baby... and having to buy a new AC box/cable. According to Support Assist battery check, the battery is still in good health.

2 Posts

March 28th, 2019 08:00

@HellsDisciples wrote:

@Ezafox wrote:

My 17 R3 was fine for almost 3yrs on the same battery until UPS crushed it, being shipped back to bestbuy for a minor repair... backlight colors stopped working on the Alienware front panel display, certain colors stopped working on keys... Grounding part on the AC Cable broke off and the pleb at BestBuy tried telling me it was my battery and he had to send it out... Cost bestbuy $1000+ to fix it.. only for them to mess up on the screen.. send it back.. messed up again on my 4K Screen install (not sure why they even messed with that to begin it). Installed it properly.. then on the way back to BestBuy, it was crushed in shipping by UPS... Ended up with a new 15 R3 for $0. (GeekSquad Manager returned the $1,899 15 R3 and rebuy it then took off $200 for the warranty so I ended up paying like $100 for it total... my 17 R3 cost me $1,550.99)

My wife has the 15 R2, still on the original battery. We picked that unit up in 2016 and still going strong as it was 3/2/16 from Bestbuy. No real issues, minus a missing key my son tore off when he was a baby... and having to buy a new AC box/cable. According to Support Assist battery check, the battery is still in good health.

I hadn't thought of that as a problem so I had someone check all of the outlets in my house (and had another person come just to double check as a second opinion in case of faulty equipment) but they had found nothing unusual. Ironically when the laptop was purchased some of the internal components were already bent and broken and during the first battery repair the technician fixed those and had comments about how Dell will ship out anything. He also suggested some privacy settings to keep dell and my ISP out of my laptop because they collect information, but honestly I didn't really care about all of that; I just wanted to get my equipment fixed and be on my way.

March 28th, 2019 23:00

@Ezafox wrote:

@HellsDisciples wrote:

@Ezafox wrote:

I hadn't thought of that as a problem so I had someone check all of the outlets in my house (and had another person come just to double check as a second opinion in case of faulty equipment) but they had found nothing unusual. Ironically when the laptop was purchased some of the internal components were already bent and broken and during the first battery repair the technician fixed those and had comments about how Dell will ship out anything. He also suggested some privacy settings to keep dell and my ISP out of my laptop because they collect information, but honestly I didn't really care about all of that; I just wanted to get my equipment fixed and be on my way.

Wouldn't worry to much about your ISP Prying into what your doing.. VPN is for that and far cheaper...

Good to know there was nothing wrong with your wiring. Sense that checked out, maybe it was just a faulty Unit. Considering all computers are built via automation which some are bound to happen...  Would say now to go to Better Buissiness tho may be a waste of time.

Sounds tho now you just got a lemon. I would still change what plug I plug my computers into.R2R2R3R3R3 15R3 15

No Events found!