Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

June 8th, 2023 13:00

17 R4, 32MB ram no boot

I started to upgrade my system a while back and got some great advice, but wasn’t able to complete it at that time. That was a couple of years ago so I wanted to ask for thoughts and suggestions for upgrades now  sense a lot of time has passed and technical terms.

I have already purchased and I am trying to upgrade my RAM to 32 MB. It won’t boot whenever I try to use the 32 MB but I have a different post on this problem.

It won’t boot whenever I try to use the 32 MB but I have a different post on this problem.

I also noticed that neither of my hard drives are showing up in my task manager, but they do show up in other areas. I am not sure if I have settings wrong within bios, or the computer itself. I do know that both discs are pretty small compared to today’s specs.

in my task manager, but they do show up in other areas. I am not sure if I have settings wrong within bios, or the computer itself. I do know that both discs are pretty small compared to today’s specs.

I would appreciate any thoughts on ways to upgrade and improve this gaming laptop.

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

June 11th, 2023 10:00

Hi @triciagalexnder thank you for sharing update. The virus infection could have come from surfing the internet, opening email, etc. The free Malwarebytes is good at removing infections. Free Antivirus 2023 | 100% Free & Easy Install | Malware Removal (malwarebytes.com). Show hidden files, folders and drives so that Malwarebytes can detect and clean them. 

crimsom_0-1686504344761.png

The OS (C:) boot drive should always have plenty of spare room to get the full version of the Windows operating system and to allow all gaming temporary files to quickly unpack, run and be removed. The BIOS/UEFI also provides fast boot and the Dell SupportAssist application keeps your system running at its best. For graphic intensive games, the 2TB Samsung SSD is recommended. You will see the performance difference. 

Store all personal and other files on the separate (D:) DATA drive. 

If not creating clone (copy) of your OS (C:) boot drive onto larger SSD, you can create new Windows x64 drive and Microsoft will automatically reinstate licence for your existing operating system. My Alienware 17 R5 Home x64 licence was updated to Professional by getting cheap new licence from eBay. 

isGoodTroubleshooting

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

June 8th, 2023 13:00

IMG_1851.jpeg

IMG_1852.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

June 8th, 2023 15:00

Hi @triciagalexnder welcome to this free user-to-user Alienware laptop discussion forum. 

Support for Alienware 17 R4 Memory does not include 3200 MHz speed. 

crimsom_0-1686262924928.png

Crucial System Advisor database does not include include 3200 MHz speed and recommends Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2400 MHz SODIMMAlienware 17 R4 | Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | Crucial.com. Crucial will accept return of their 3200 MHz RAM Memory so that the 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) 2400 MHz can be purchased. 

Crucial System Advisor database also includes SSD upgrade recommendations, you do not have to purchase from Crucial.  

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

June 8th, 2023 16:00

Thanks, I did get your response on the ram thread I made.  I have that all set up to change, thanks.

I don't see much regarding upgrade advice and recommendations on Crucial sight, just the sale of the items and how to install.  I was hoping to get some thoughts in which components would be best to upgrade, what levels, etc. 

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

June 8th, 2023 16:00

Hi @triciagalexnder Alienware 17 R4 Drivers & Downloads says Dell does not support Windows 11 on this device. My Alienware 17 R5 has a similar message. Microsoft has announced Windows 10 will reach end of support on October 14, 2025. Windows 10 Home and Pro - Microsoft Lifecycle | Microsoft Learn

My Alienware 17 R5 is getting ready to install Windows 11, 17 R5, Reinstate Alienware Splash Screen with F2 and F12 text - Dell Community. The M.2 OS (C:) boot drive was the ultrafast 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD, but is now the ultrafast 4TB Crucial SSD. The ability to encrypt the SSD is now provided by the CPU. 

What does the PC Health Check say about your Alienware 17 R4? How to use the PC Health Check app - Microsoft Support

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

June 8th, 2023 17:00

Hi @triciagalexnder thank you for sharing not going to install the free Windows 11 upgrade on your Alienware 17 R4. If proposing to encrypt OS (C:) boot drive, look at the ultrafast 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD, or similar. If not already undertaken, change SSD partition format to GPT (not MBR) and enable BIOS boot list option UEFI. 

Guess your other thread is the unsolved Re: 17 R4, Help or opinions for upgrading system storage - Dell Community

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

June 8th, 2023 17:00

I am a little confused on your reply and not sure it was meant for me.. LOL   In answer to your question, my processor isn't supported either but I wasn't intending to install windows 11 anyway. I am wanting to upgrade my components and see if there are settings that I need to re-evaluate.  I think from past threads (I just found some info I had not known was there as my email log in is incorrect and I can't find where to correct it).  I have been reviewing those to learn and it was mentioned I might have settings wrong in regards to my partition and made several suggestions on things (I actually think it was you in that post also.. LOL).  I have been studying what was said there and trying to see where I might have issues and researching the components. 

I made this post because that other one was a couple of years old and I figured the 'better' technology may not be the same as suggested back then. 

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

June 8th, 2023 18:00

I will go fix that other thread.  I didn't even think about it as a solved or unsolved issue so I didn't think about doing that.

Thanks for the suggestions, I was looking at the SSDs you mentioned and was trying to decide between the Samsung and this one (WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive with Heatsink - Works with Playstation 5, Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 7,300 MB/s - WDS100T2XHE) from Amazon.  That one seemed to have good reviews but so did the Samsung.  I hadn't ordered yet from worry about ordering something not compatible again.  

I did have some issue when I was changing the hard drive a couple years ago that resulted in my having to change the boot list option and I think I had to change it from the UEFI, but I don't remember why.  I do remember the computer wouldn't find windows anymore until I changed something there, but I will have to go see if I change to or from UEFI.

Thanks for the help. 

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

June 8th, 2023 23:00

Hi @triciagalexnder the Alienware 17 R4 has two 2280 and one 2260 slots for the M.2 SSD cards. 

The SN850X with heatsink is physically too large to fit within the M.2 SSD slots. Amazon.com: WD_BLACK 1TB SN850 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive with Heatsink - Works with Playstation 5, Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 7,000 MB/s - WDS100T1XHE : Electronics

M.2 Samsung with components on one side of SSD is also fully featured including encryption. Get the Dell copper M.2 2280 Thermal Shield if another heatsink is required. 

To enable UEFI option in the BIOS, the (C:) drive must have GPT partition format. BIOS/UEFI provides the modern enhanced reliability, data security, etc. and fast boot. 

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

June 9th, 2023 11:00

Thanks for saving me again!!!!   I will remove the WD and put int he Samsung now.   THIS would be why I don't build computers... LOL

I do want to say that I got a virus (one of the hijack your browser ones) last night after downloading two of the suggestions (one was the microsoft, which I am doubting and the other came fromt the old thread for Crystal Disk Info).  It might have been my own doing because when trying to download the Crystal one, it was so confusing that I downloaded what they had posted everywhere for app library.  Virus had to come from one of those because I didn't download anything else.   Spent all night trying to get it out but it has made me more interested in getting a large new hard drive and starting with a fresh new install of windows.  I don't think I acutally got the virus out, I had to go in and manually overwrite each browser direction and delete everything connected to the mobility virus.  

I would love your thoughts on the starting fresh idea on the hard drives.  I have the 256 and the 160 now and the plan is the Samsung your recommended (but might only be able to do 1T instead of 2T unless  you think that the size difference will make a performance difference also).  I do recall you or someone else saying last year that it would be better to have a dedicated one for the C: for gaming and a second one for storage of 'stuff'.    Thoughts?   

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

June 11th, 2023 12:00

Follow-up question if you don't mind.   I went to purchase the Samsung SSD you recommended and noticed that some are on varying degrees of sale price right now.  The 990 Pro has a bigger discount making it only slightly more then the 970 Evo.  Would that be a better option in the long term or are there things I am not considering or seeing regarding the two?

Samsung 990 PRO Series - 2TB PCIe Gen4. X4 NVMe 2.0c - M.2 Internal SSD 

vs.

Samsung 970 Evo Pluss SSD 2TB NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Drive, V-NAND Technology  Storage and Memory Expansion for Gaming, Graphics w/ Heat Control, Max Speed

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

June 11th, 2023 12:00

Thanks for all of the info.

I know the virus 'could' have come from anywhere but seeing as how I haven't had any issues with getting a virus for years and then downloaded a few things and it showed up, logic suggests it likely came from one of the downloads.  I did try the Malwarebytes but it was still there I even tried a couple of other removal tools and ultimately I had to go manually overwrite all the redirects in the browser settings.  The virus appears to still be here but it isn't affecting my usage anymore.  

I will defenitely splurge for the 2T since you say it will be noticeable in performance but computer isn't compatible with Windows 11, so I will personally have to stick with 10.  

Thanks again

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

June 11th, 2023 15:00

Hi @triciagalexnder either Samsung SSD is suitable. The future proof M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe Single-Sided SSD will run at backwards compatible M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe Single-Sided SSD speed in the Alienware 17 R4. Unable to do the price comparison because there are no links to your discounted vendor. 

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

June 11th, 2023 16:00

I will try again. I had previously just been copying the information on the site and not the address.  I will gladly try again   

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BHJJ9Y77/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-Plus-MZ-V7S2T0B/dp/B07MFZXR1B/ref=psdc_1292116011_t3_B0BHJJ9Y77

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

June 11th, 2023 16:00

I tried to put the links but it always tells me I have to remove links before it will send.  I noticed you are able to put links but I assumed it had to do with your rank/level here.

The 970 Evo is $115 and the 990 is $160 right now on Amazon

115   160

No Events found!