Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

September 2nd, 2020 15:00

Will the AGA work with the RTX 30 series?

Will the AGA (Alienware Graphics Amplifier) work with the RTX 30 series?

November 11th, 2020 07:00

No doubt. But the idea of the amplifier is to upgrade the laptop gpu without buying a whole new laptop.

New socket means no upgrading the A51mR2 cpu.

I am mad it's looking like to get high-performance ray tracing in 4k at home I'm going to have to build a desktop.

Now we're talking almost $10,000 on computers this year. Smh.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

November 11th, 2020 16:00

Unless you do an all AMD build?

I plan to have replaced all the components in my Auora r4 with the new Big Navi stuff AMD is releasing at a much cheaper price. I can get the mid to high end GPU and put it in crossfire to get the highest end GPU equivalent.

2 Posts

November 15th, 2020 08:00

It will absolutely not. For me anything over 250 W just gives constant gpu crashes. Tested with RX vega 56, Vega 64 and r9 390. It worked flawless with rx 590 (rated under 190W). The original dell psu died first and i changed to a 750 gold rated psu. Problem stayed. Everything over 250 gives you crashes under load and after that even on the desktop while browsing the internet, watching youtube videos (the connecting card feels cheap, once stressed slowly kills the gpu with fail currents). Seen many complains on different forums. Other way the pcie x4 lane bottlenecks the high end gpu-s a lot, it will be a waste (my assumption) an rtx 3xxx over 3060.

my system is an 15 r2 with 6820hk, and AGA with STRIX Rx Vega 64 OC (no tweaks, even undervolting makes you crashes, probably stressed something over the limits with first use, constant headaches after).

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

November 15th, 2020 17:00

I agree.

1 Message

November 23rd, 2020 22:00

I have seen some users complain about incompatibility when they install 3070 and 3080. Wonder if Dell will release new firmware to make AGA work with newer cards?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 24th, 2020 04:00

AGA (Alienware Graphic Amplifier) FAQ

The EOL (End Of Life) AGA (Alienware Graphics Amplifier) is not supported by Dell with the RTX 3080/3090 due to wattage issues. In the future, the AGA might be supported with the RTX 3070.

2 Posts

February 17th, 2021 12:00

I am running an Alienware 17 R3 with an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) from early 2016 with a GTX 1080 ti.  Works great (although I did upgrade the PSU and fan).  I was thinking of upgrading the card to an RTX 3000 series card.  The discussion here has made me re-think this.

Perhaps someone could shed some light on on interesting observation.  If the AGA has reached end of life and there are no plans for an updated version, then why do all of the current model Alienware laptops have the proprietary AGA slot in the back?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 19th, 2021 08:00

If the AGA has reached end of life and there are no plans for an updated version, then why do all of the current model Alienware laptops have the proprietary AGA slot in the back?

The newer models were given the legacy AGA port so that they could use the EOL AGA with the video cards listed in the AGA (Alienware Graphics Amplifier) FAQ.

No Events found!