Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

1 Message

June 24th, 2019 08:00

Worst Service I Have Ever Seen

I'm going to start off with some info about my newly purchased Alienware M15, which I bought right before they released the new model (Still upset about that). After buying the computer, I received it pretty quickly, quicker than I thought, on April 14th, 2019. Sold my other laptop a week later because I thought this one was great.

All was well until I noticed a dead pixel on the display. Being about 2 months old and having next-day onsite support, I contacted Dell (on June 10th, 2019) and set up a request for a technician to come replace my screen (I'm an IT guy but they wouldn't let me do it myself). I also used this for business purposes and for that, I didn't want to send it in as I need it on a daily basis.

So here I am 3 days later, and on the 3rd email for a 3rd tech that's supposed to come fix my computer. This tech actually calls me and sets up a time (June 14th, 2019). My next business day onsite support was actually 3 days. Which, I wasn't too upset since the computer still worked and the dead pixel wasn't that noticeable. The tech was very friendly and we set up a time. The tech came, replaced my screen, and it didn't work. Computer powered on, but no power to the display. The tech then proceeded to troubleshoot, next you hear a pop and a foul stench fills the room. He shorted out the board, most likely from not unplugging the battery from the main board when messing with the cables for the screen. The tech apologized and said that I had to send my computer in to depot. He called and set it up, he said it was an express depot and I would have my computer back in 3-5 days after they received it, or I could request a replacement. I thought oh 5 days isn't that bad, that's fine.

On the next business day, I receive the box and I ship it (June 17th, 2019). They receive my computer and I don't receive any notification for a day or so. On June 21st, 2019, they sent me an email saying my the part to fix my computer is on back order and they would have the part within 5 days. At this point, I was getting more frustrated, like why wouldn't they order the part prior to me sending the computer in , they were told what needed replaced.

I then contact Dell support, asking if I could just get a replacement since it was so new and by the time they replaced everything that needed replaced, I would basically have a new computer anyway (motherboard, LCD screen, and back cover that the tech scratched up). They avoided this question until I bought it to their attention that they were ignoring it. I was told it is not covered under my warranty. Now I have the basic warranty and I understand what it covers, which I had to tell them many times, but the thing is, the Tech that they sent broke my computer, so basically Dell broke it and didn't want to replace it. I then spoke to the manager of technical support. which I explained the situation again. I was told that I had to wait until the Service Lab said I needed a replacement. I went off on the guy, mainly because this is a very frustrating situation. No matter how many times you tell them that you're losing money without it, they don't care, it doesn't affect them. He told me that he would prioritize my repair and that I would receive updates daily. I was frustrated with the very poor service I was given. No compensation or anything for them breaking my laptop. 

I was then contacted today (June 24th) with my first update since then. The email said the part will be in stock again on July 10th. Over 2 weeks away! This is very unacceptable, honestly. Having the part within 5 days turned to 14 days. 

Post simplified (All in 2019):

1. April 14th - Received my brand new Alienware M15 laptop
  2. June 7th -  Noticed dead pixel in screen
  3. June 10th - Setup Next-business day onsite repair
  4. June 14th - Finally I got a Tech to come swap out my LCD screen (Definitely not next day)
    • Tech broke my computer (Shorted out the system board)
    • Tech setup depot - told me that I would have my computer back within 3-5 business days or to request a replacement
  5. June 17th - Received box and sent in computer
  6. June 20th - Received email saying they got my computer
  7. June 21st - Received email saying my part was on backorder and will have it within 5 days
    • Fought with support over getting a replacement since the laptop was only 2 months old
  8. June 24th - Received email saying the part wouldn't be in stock until July 10th

Moral of the story, DO NOT buy a any laptop from Dell if you are using it for business also. They will not care. I have been losing so much money because of this issue.

No Responses!
No Events found!