Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

8 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 13:00

Year old G7 7590 with 2060 freezing randomly-failed surface test

I didn't know where to put this, as there is no category for G series laptops.

I have a year old g7 7590 that I recently as a few months ago reset to the factory image. I had done so, because I had multiple issues regarding bsods which are documented, as I called tech support more than once because of these issues.

I am now, and have been for about a month, experiencing similar issues. I received a bsod about a week ago, with a critical process died message. I have also experienced frequent random complete system freezes, which seem to be most prominent when attempting to run games, but I have experienced these crashes while simply on the desktop or non intensive applications.

I proceeded to run a hardware scan. I did not run a full test, but I ran one targeting the graphics card, the memory, hard drive, processor, and motherboard. The only test to fail was the video card surface test.

Please help me fix this. This computer is barely a year old.

8 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 14:00

I have been trying to reply, but my posts kept getting marked as spam.

I ran both WhoCrashed and WhySoSlow

Who Crashed:

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Fri 5/1/2020 8:41:23 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\050120-43468-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe  (nt+0x1C2390)
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFB301E680E140, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED 
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 
company: Microsoft Corporation 
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

WhySoSlow

Your CPU speed ranged between 3837 Mhz and 3914 MHz. The advertised clock speed of your processor is 2208 MHz.

Your main processor was always running above its advertised clock speed which means great performance. Your system is running too hot, but does not appear to be throttled down. 

CPU Temperature

Your CPU temperature ranged between 74 °C and 99 °C (equal to 165 °F - 210 °F) during the tests.
Your system has thermal problems, your processors are running way too hot but not all the time. Your system is running too hot, but does not appear to be throttled down. Your CPU was always running above its advertised clock speed.

CPU Load

While the test was idle, your CPU usage ranged from 13.9% to 32.0%. Your processor's resources do not appear to be used heavily. 

Memory Load

The amount of RAM used by your system while the test was running ranged from 19.1% to 19.8%. 

Paging Information

During the test hard pagefaults ranged from 0.0 to 242.2 pagefaults per second. The values reported are considered fair. Hitting hard pagefaults has adverse effects on performance and responsiveness of your system. Your paging file resides on a SSD which fortunately limits the impact of hitting hard pagefaults on your system. 

Application responsiveness

The highest application responsiveness on your system was measured at 0.442 ms. This value is considered fair. 

Kernel latencies and real-time capabilities

The highest kernel responsiveness on your system was measured at 0.299 ms. This value is considered good. There do not appear to be drivers causing your system to be unsuitable for real-time processing capabilities.

BIOS and chipset behavior

The highest measured SM BIOS interrupt or other stall was 208 microseconds. This is considered poor behavior. Your system may have difficulty handling multimedia in real-time and may be subject to unexpected stutters and unresponsive behavior. 

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 14:00

That test is well known for producing false positives.  You might want to try running WhoCrashed to see if you can find the reason behind the issue, but it's not likely related to that error.

The free version is fine:

https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

8 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 15:00

I also should mention that during games, there are moments of periodic stutter, no matter what I am playing. Monitoring using MSI afterburner, it seems that during this period of stutter, that the graphics card clocks down for whatever reason. I dont know if this is in response to something else in the system, or if the graphics card is the only culprit there.

8 Posts

May 23rd, 2020 08:00

Is there anything that can be done without doing a hardware replacement? Or returning to factory defaults? 

No Events found!