Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 17th, 2020 18:00

m15 R2, how to clone to 2x1TB NVMe drive?

Hello,

I have a Laptop Alienware m15 R2. How do I clone the NVMe Raid 0 512 (2x256GB) to a new Samsung 970 Pro NVMe 2TB (2x1TB each)?

Alienware M15 R2.jpg

The specs are:

specs alienware m15.jpg

I bought two Samsung 970 pro 1 tb each, and i want to clone my current drive array that it is in Raid0 (2x256), to the new NVME drives, does anyone know how to do this ?, i have inthe past clone NVME ssd but only one drive, not in RAID two drives.

I have search and found information on how to do a clean install from a USB, but i will need to install everything.

I have tried looking for hardware to clone NVME drives but the one i found is too expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5MHBW1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3UW28G9WPPLAW&psc=1

Can anyone help me with this problem, or if you know hardware that can clone this RAID 0 NVME too the new ones, i will really apreciate it.

Regards,

Ramses

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@Ramses jr  Macrium Reflect can do this, and the Free version would be fine for your purposes.  You'd just install it, use its Rescue Media Builder to create bootable Rescue Media, which should include any necessary RAID driver automatically, then boot your PC from that Rescue Media to get your system up and running.  If you have an external hard drive (which you should, since a RAID 0 increases your risk of data loss, so hopefully you're backing up your data), the easiest way to do this would probably be to capture an image backup of your current RAID 0 setup and then restore it onto your new SSDs instead of performing a direct clone from source to target.  So basically:

• Install Macrium Reflect Free
  • Create USB Rescue Media and test boot your PC from it.  Go to the Disk Image tab and make sure that it can see your internal RAID 0 properly.
  • From there, choose to capture an image backup of your RAID 0 to an external hard drive (or network location, or whatever.)
  • When the image backup completes, shut down your PC, remove your current SSDs, and install your new SSDs.
  • Set up your new SSDs as a RAID 0 using whatever boot-time application is used for this purpose.  It will probably be Intel Rapid Storage, in which case press whatever key is necessary to access its RAID management interface.
  • After you've created a new RAID 0, boot into your Macrium Reflect Rescue Media and restore your image backup onto the new RAID 0.  You might want to adjust partition sizes since you're restoring onto a larger RAID virtual disk than your source.
  • After this, restart.  If your PC boots normally, you're finished.  If not, go back into Rescue Media and use the Fix Boot Problems wizard.

thanks i will try it, and let you know the results.

Regards

Ramsés

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 17th, 2020 19:00

Hopefully the software works for you.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 26th, 2020 22:00

@Ramses jr  Excellent, and thanks for reporting back!  Glad it all worked.

July 26th, 2020 22:00

Hello,

I finally got the courage to do it, after reading alot how to use Macrium Software, the Alienware Bios, checking how to set the new RAID 0 properly, finally today i followed all your steps, and everything works just fine.

I really apreciate all your help, the instructions are spot on, everything works as you describe them.

you are a real pro.

Thanks again.

Regards, 

Ramses

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 27th, 2020 07:00

Great Job!

No Events found!