Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2021 11:00

m15 R6, which docking station works?

What docking station/docking adapter works with the Alienware m15 R6? I have two monitors, keyboard, and mouse I want to dock with the laptop.

TIA

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 12th, 2021 08:00

@bkirkman75  The displays absolutely make a difference in terms of docking station choices because regular USB-C docks and Thunderbolt docks can tap into very different quantities of video bandwidth, which affects the display setups they can run.  A USB-C dock when used with a system like the m15 R6 that supports DisplayPort HBR3 would be able to run dual QHD 60 Hz displays or a single 4K 60 Hz display.  A Thunderbolt dock would be able to run dual 4K 60 Hz displays or triple QHD 60 Hz displays.  With systems that only supported the older HBR2 standard, regular USB-C could only run dual 1080p 60 Hz displays, meaning that Thunderbolt allowed access to 4x more video bandwidth than USB-C.  In fact this topic of displays and docking stations comes up so much that I wrote an explainer post about the various operating modes of USB-C and Thunderbolt with specific focus on their impact on possible display setups over here.

If you want to run that 1080p 144 Hz display at its native refresh rate alongside an additional 1920x1200 60 Hz display, then I haven't sat down and done the math on those less common resolution and refresh rates, but I think that will slightly exceed the bandwidth available on DisplayPort HBR3 over regular USB-C.  So you might want to get a Thunderbolt-based dock.

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

Hi @bkirkman75  welcome to this user to user discussion forum. This is not Dell Support. 

Support for Alienware m15 R6 External ports says your model might have one Thunderbolt 4 port with Power Delivery or one USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C port with DisplayPort. There is also a NOTE You can connect a Dell Docking Station to this port. For more information, see the knowledge base article SLN286158 at www.dell.com/support

There are also online articles, such as Best Alienware m15 Dock.  

Only you know what Docking Station you can afford and/or want!

Please click on Kudos to say thank you for response from user that is not employed by Dell. Please share an update on progress, so that other users derive benefit from your experience. Thank you. 

19 Posts

Unfortunately, there isn’t a dedicated docking station. 

Right now I’m using a standard laptop docking station (single usb-c/thunderbolt). But since it can’t handle 240W power delivery, you have to power the laptop and the docking station individually. 

Not ideal, but it works. 

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

July 9th, 2021 13:00

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 9th, 2021 15:00

@bkirkman75  As noted, no docking stations will adequately power that system. A new USB-C standard will support up to 240W Power Delivery, but I don’t think that’s implemented on any products on the market as of this writing. You can still use a dock for everything else though. In terms of what type of dock you’d want, that would depend mostly on the resolution and refresh rates of your two monitors, which unfortunately you didn’t specify. Video bandwidth is the main differentiator between USB-C and Thunderbolt docks.

10 Posts

July 12th, 2021 07:00

I didn't think my monitors would make a difference on docking station but here are the two monitors I have -

Dell U2412Mb

Refresh Rate 60 Hz 1920 x 1200
Brand Dell
Screen Size 24 Inches
Hardware Interface VGA, DisplayPort, USB 2.0
Connectivity Technology Vga, Usb, Dvi-d

Viewsonic XG2701

1080p (1920 x 1080) 
Panel Type TN 
Max Refresh Rate 144Hz 
Response Time 1ms 
Connectivity HDMI (x2), DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort (27"only), USB Hub

Power wise I believe I will have to use the laptop charger for power to the laptop and keyboard, mouse, monitors thru the dock.

10 Posts

August 18th, 2021 05:00

I ordered the OWC Thunderbolt dock and it worked just as described in the earlier post. I kept the laptop charger plugged in for power to the laptop and the dock has a seperate power supply which I can use for charging my usb port devices. My two monitors worked fine and I found the setting in Display settings for powering off the laptop display when I close the screen. Problem solved!
OR so I thought :(.
The new BIOS firmware update for my M15 R6 (1.4.3) made changes to USB-C and video support and now my docking station works with everything BUT my displays. I now have to plug in one display into the HDMI port to at least get the laptop display and my Viewsonic to work.
I should have read the update first since it states in the update information that once you install it there is no way to go back to previous firmware since it also has security fixes in it. I am trying to work with OWC to see what can be done but Dell's stance to me was docking stations are not supported on Alienware laptops. I am VERY disappointed in support for this product and after 4 Dells in the last 12 years this will most likely be my last. My opinion is less than poor support for something that Alienware broke that was working for me before their 1.4.3 update!

August 27th, 2021 14:00

I wasn't looking for a dock, just to connect an external monitor over USB-C. I believe BIOS update 1.4.3 has broken this functionality.

A monitor connected over HDMI works fine, and the USB C to DisplayPort cable is detected in device manager, but not the display itself.

Obviously I've tried all the combinations of Optimus/Bios options to no avail.

USB C display out works fine on my 4 year old XPS so this is pretty disappointing.

12 Posts

September 1st, 2021 04:00

I have the same issue

12 Posts

I've tried to connect Alienware m15 r6 laptop to Samsung C34H89X monitor using WD19TBS dock and found that this solution is not working. The monitor does not receive a video signal. So, looks like I wasted my money. In the chat support told me that dock is not supported.

12 Posts

No it does not work for Alienware m15 r6, for example. Monitor is not working being plugged to dock.

10 Posts

September 1st, 2021 05:00

Your monitor works through the usb-c port? The power issue can be worked around. For me my monitor no longer works thru usb c. Worked before the firmware update in August. I plugged the monitor directly into the usb c and nothing. HDMI works fine but my expensive dock I bought that worked fine before is now crippled since Alienware broke the usb c monitor output. I would have gone with a different laptop if I’d known they’d break this and not support fixing it.

12 Posts

Hi, Do you know the reason, why the Samsung C34H89X monitor does not work being connected to the Alienware m16 r6 laptop using the WD19TBS dock? All gadgets have their own power supply. Will this issue be solved in the future? I am feeling super idiotic - to spend hundred dollars for "wunderwaffle" gadgets and get not working solution as a result...  I'm one step closer to sell out all this dell machinery and change vendor... :(((

12 Posts

I have exactly the same issue - direct hdmi works fine and direct type-c does not work. Being plugged to dock any port does not work - hdmi / display port / type-c

12 Posts

September 1st, 2021 07:00

I've tried to do the same, but it is not working for me...

No Events found!