Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 26th, 2022 07:00

m15 R7, G-Sync over USB-C to external monitor?

Hello all,

I recently purchased an Alienware m15 R7 with an Nvidia RTX 3070 Ti and it has been fantastic. That said I cannot seem to get G-Sync functioning over USB-C? I read a review that stated that USB-C operates over the Intel iGPU rather than the Nvidia dGPU eliminating G-Sync from external monitors. Can someone confirm?

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

June 9th, 2022 10:00

Update from the Alienware Team: 

The m15 R6 USB-C works with the dGPU.
The m15 R7 USB-C works with the iGPU.

That is why G-Sync doesn't work on m15 R7 over USB-C to an external monitor. You will have to connect the system to HDMI.

April 3rd, 2022 21:00

I have the same issue, G-SYNC with USB-C to DP is not working with AW3821 monitor.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

April 5th, 2022 09:00

Have you tried to disable Hybrid Graphics / Advanced Optimus in the BIOS before the system boots, and/or within the Nvidia Control Panel make sure only the Nvidia card is selected?  Once you have done this you should hopefully see more displays under GSync settings (within the control panel). I know on my laptop I sometimes do not even see the GSync option until I have selected that the system only uses the Nvidia GPU.

I am also curious on this as I have not found a definitive answer, and have heard of it working on other models, but do not know if this is the case on the R7. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any luck.  

1 Message

May 17th, 2022 04:00

• Have you been able to find any info on this? I have had a chance to pick up a new usb-c wire yet. But using HDMI, having nvidia card set as the only card in Control panel forces a switch to the igpu. Because of those I thought the Nvidia card was tied to usb-c. But now after coming across you post I'm not so sure... where can I find info stating which port is dedicated use for the nvidia card?

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

May 17th, 2022 07:00

Check the NVIDIA Control panel and you should see the outputs your GPU has. If it says Type C for the NVIDIA its most likely a driver issue that an update would fix.

5 Posts

May 18th, 2022 11:00

I purchased an M15 R6 at Christmas, with an RTX 3070. Laptop was working fine and loved it, except every time I entered a games, I had a 3-4sec black screen within the first 5 minutes (not super convenient when playing online). G-Sync was working great over USB-C (display port 1.4). After countless hours of troubleshooting with NVidia and Dell, Dell went ahead a replaced my system with a M15 R7 this time around, with a 3070-TI. Since then, the USB-C seems to be directly connected to the integrated GPU, not the RTX 3070-TI, so I cannot game over that port even if I disable Optimus. Therefore, no more G-SYNC! I cannot believe it! I purchased my system based on this technology (laptop and external monitor). After spending, yet again, time with Dell tech support, through level 1, 2, 3...  they are replacing my system right now. I can't wait to see if G-SYNC will work on the third computer. I won't be surprised if it does not unfortunately....unless then changed something on their production line !?

On a side note, on my M15 R7, when using the HDMI port, it is directly connected to the dGPU. But GSYNC is only available through display port with my screen (and most screens actually).

Hopefully Dell can fix that.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

May 18th, 2022 13:00

Thanks for adding this to the thread. On your R6 and R7 can you let me know which integrated panels the systems had? Like, which refresh rate? I realize that wasn't your issue but was curious. 

Also, did you happen to turn off the hybrid graphics within the BIOS (on either system) and see if it changed anything? Sorry if I missed this being mentioned. 

5 Posts

May 18th, 2022 19:00

Hello BradL, I don't understand your questions "..which integrated panels? Like, which refresh rate?" Can you clarify that for me ?

Disabling Optimus did not change anything. Today, the Alienware Technical Service confirmed that the USB-C port is directly connected to the iGPU, and there is no way around that. This how the R7 is built. In other words, you cannot have GSYNC with an external monitor on the R7. This is sad.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

May 18th, 2022 23:00

Sorry for that, on the panels I was meaning what type of displays did the laptops ship with? Like on your R7, it can come configured with a 165/240/360Hz laptop display. I realize this might not apply with the R7 but I have seen varied configurations on the R4/R6 where the TB/USB-C port will work with Gsync (just like you described with your R6), whereas certain display configurations might not have the dedicated card wired to the TB/USB-C port etc..  

And when you disabled the Optimus settings, was that also done in the BIOS (under hybrid graphics settings)? Again, I know this might not help you on the R7 currently but I am trying to understand if it was tried on the R6 this way too. The other reason for these questions is I am also trying to see if that setting is actually disabling the TB/USB-C port from even using the iGPU, like with your R7 it might not even allow the external monitor to work with the iGPU. 

Anyway, I currently only have access to my personal m15 R4, but am trying to work with some Alienware contacts to get better documentation shared on what configurations/systems have ports  wired to the iGPU vs which ones are wired to the discrete card. This is a topic I am hoping we can get clear details out for all users hopefully sooner than later.

If you need help with BIOS settings, let me know and I can post directions/images if the techs didn't try that, but I just wanted to confirm it was done.     

Thanks for the fast reply, and sorry for all the questions! 

5 Posts

May 20th, 2022 04:00

I had the 240Hz display, 2560x1440 on both the R6 & R7.

Yes, Optimus was disabled by BIOS under hybrid display. On the R6, gsync was working either ways. On the R7, gsync was not working either ways.

I don't need help with BIOS.l, thank you.

If you get some more info, check to see if I can open the laptop and physically connect it to the dGPU! That would solve the problem I guess.

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

May 20th, 2022 07:00

I wish it were possible to connect it like that, and that would definitely be a great idea for future systems (maybe like a physical switch or something...)! Thanks for the update on this, I really appreciate the extra details. Did they get back with you on the replacement model yet? I am just curious which model will be sent. 

5 Posts

May 20th, 2022 09:00

There is a replacement scheduled and in production. ETA first of June.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

May 20th, 2022 11:00

Did they share the model yet?

5 Posts

May 20th, 2022 12:00

M15 R7

• 

25.1K Posts

May 24th, 2022 18:00

Hi There,

I hope you are well. Our records indicate that the replacement system is scheduled to be shipped out on the 30th of May.

The estimated date of delivery is June 03rd.
You may continue to work with the replacement team, and they will assist you further.

No Events found!