Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 2nd, 2019 14:00

m15, downgrade from BIOS 2.0.4?

I've updated my bios on my m15 to the latest version 2.0.4, however, the custom thermal profiles stopped working and the fans are now always on, even tho the system is at around 40 degrees in quiet mode. Unless there is a fix coming, I'd like to go back to the 1.4.1 where the custom profiles worked, as now the laptop is very noisy and not very usable in quiet environments. However, when trying to install the older version, it says that downgrade is not allowed. Is there a workaround how to downgrade the bios or any other way of making custom thermal profiles work again?

Thanks.

1 Message

August 3rd, 2019 15:00

I just wanted to hop on to say that I agree in that the fans should shut down, at least in quiet mode, when the temperature is below 50. It's very clear they're trying to combat the "hot laptop" reviews by changing the fan curves in a way that makes the laptop quite annoying to use for noise sensitive people.

13 Posts

August 14th, 2019 09:00

Fix the laptop dell.

1 Rookie

• 

113 Posts

August 18th, 2019 12:00

Since the update to Windows 10 Version 1903 im no longer able to run the 1.4.1 bios on the Alienware m15 because the system is updating automatically to bios 1.6.2 every time i reboot the system. Is there a workaround? I want to use the 1.4.1 bios until Dell finally fixes the fan controls in a new bios. The m15 is not useable for me with this annoying permanent noise from the fans even in idle mode…..VERY ANNOYING DELL!!!!!!!!!!! AGAIN: PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!!!

1 Rookie

• 

113 Posts

August 19th, 2019 11:00

I have installed the 2.1.1 BIOS on my m15 too now because I wasnt able to use the 1.4.1 BIOS anymore with the latest Windows 10 update. Compared to the 1.6.2 BIOS I have to say that there is quite an improvement, the m15 is quieter than it was with the 1.6.2. But it is never as quiet as the 1.4.1 was. The CPU-fan is running at 53% all the time at a CPU-temperature of 40 degrees.

13 Posts

August 20th, 2019 11:00

The fans will only turn off when cpu is below 40C. And this is only for on battery. If you are connected to power outlet they act differently and won't turn off completely.

If dell would give us access to the EC controller or something, so we can just make fan curves with custom programs we wouldn't complain. I can never advise alienware to anyone now. Somehow on XPS 13 you can control the EC controller and make custom fan curves. 

September 21st, 2019 19:00

Dell finally fixed it! Ver. 2.2.1 is quiet again. The processor fan does not shut down in the same temperatures as before, but at least is around 50% speed and it's quiet enough to me. 

Thank you Dell!

1 Message

February 8th, 2020 06:00

BIOS Version/Date Alienware 2.3.0, 10/25/2019

I think my M15 has been hijacked by NASA and they about to launch it into space.

Anyone find a solution to make this thing quiet?

No Events found!