Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 23rd, 2019 14:00

m15 R1, set BIOS Admin password, cannot BIOS flash update

Alienware m15 R1

BIOS 1.6.1

-------------------------------

After setting the BIOS admin password, if I try to go through the BIOS Flash update from the F12 method, select the new BIOS v1.6.2, it'll ask me for the BIOS admin password.  I put in the correct admin password, but it flakes out stating it's incorrect.  After too many times the computer shuts down.

I can blank out the admin password, then go through the BIOS flash update fine.  Then after it updates I can set the BIOS admin password.  I test the new password by selecting unlocking BIOS setup, put in the admin password, and boom I unlocked the BIOS.

I'm curious if this is a bug or not. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 24th, 2019 07:00

Interesting. Yes if the BIOS interface accepts a password with a period, then the password prompt for a BIOS update should as well, so this is definitely a bug.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

May 29th, 2019 11:00

@jphughan,

Thank you for bringing this up!

@joschmitz,

We have replicated the password issue as you have described it. We're now working to pass this feedback to engineering to see what can be done next.

I will get updates back to you as soon as I know more.

It is recommended that any BIOS or admin passwords be temporarily disabled before using the firmware update feature. You can re-enable the admin or BIOS password after your firmware update is complete.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 23rd, 2019 15:00

Definitely sounds like a bug.  Is your password using any special characters?  If so, it could be that the password prompt that appears during the update process doesn't process them correctly or something.  That of course would still count as a bug, but you might find that the bug's impact is limited to somewhat more "complex" passwords.

7 Posts

May 23rd, 2019 17:00

It's only lowercase letters, numbers, and a period. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 23rd, 2019 19:00

@joschmitz wrote:

It's only lowercase letters, numbers, and a period. 

If you feel like experimenting, try it without the period.

7 Posts

May 24th, 2019 07:00

Tried it without the period.  That time it worked.  So taking the period out of the BIOS admin password is what allowed me to do the flash update.  

Maybe it's a bug?

7 Posts

May 28th, 2019 08:00

How should I report it?

7 Posts

Thank you so much!  It's not breaking production on my end, just something I noticed.  To get around this I'm just installing the BIOS update before setting the BIOS admin password.  

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@joschmitz wrote:

How should I report it?

I PMed a Dell moderator that's been helpful performing internal escalations of clearly reported and confirmed issues like this in the past and sent him the link to this thread, so hopefully this gets addressed! :)

7 Posts

June 7th, 2019 10:00

@DELL-Justin C 

Thanks!

Joe

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

June 24th, 2019 13:00

@joschmitz,

Engineering responded and I can now confirm that the solution will come in the form of a new BIOS update, which should be released around late September.

Thank you for your post and thank you to @jphughan for bringing this up. 

7 Posts

August 15th, 2019 08:00

You're welcome Justin!  Glad I could help!

February 21st, 2020 19:00

Okay,

Download the bios files that you need to step up from the current version.

Rename them to just the version numbers (This makes it easier to select the file when in the BIOS Firmware Update screen.

Copy the files to a USB Drive.

Reboot and Press F12 and Select BIOS Firmware Update

From the GUI select your USB Drive and then using the TAB key select the first file for upgrade and allow it to process. Allow it to complete and return to the windows login screen and then Reboot and step through the process again and again till at the current version.

I have a M17 and it would not update, this is how I was able to accomplish it.

Its not pretty, its not elegant, it did however work. I have responded already to Dell to fix the windows BIOS updater.

No Events found!