Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

19 Posts

May 5th, 2020 05:00

m15 R1, supports Virtual Machine?

Hello there ,

I would like to know if my Alienware m15 R1 can support the use of a virtual machine.......as I doubt if it will have compatibility issues and will cause problems to the in built software like the command center. I'm worried will anything go wrong.....last time i think i had command center issues when i had the virtual machine running on my system

So kindly advice me on the use of virtual machine on my m15.

Thank you 

Best regards

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 5th, 2020 06:00

@Gameboy15  I don't see why you would have had Command Center problems simply from running virtual machines.  The hardware would certainly support virtualization.  Maybe it will depend on the hypervisor you use.  If you have a Pro or better version of Windows, you'd have the option of using Hyper-V.  Otherwise, Virtualbox is a popular option that's very capable and free.

19 Posts

May 5th, 2020 10:00

i suspected the virtual machine for having caused problems to my command center ,  the thermals as well as the fan controls...........i faced the issue twice and both the times i was having virtual machine on the system...

are you using an m15 , if yes have you faced any problems ?

thank you 

best regards 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 5th, 2020 11:00

@Gameboy15  I haven't used VMs on an m15 myself, and I don't personally own an m15 so I can't easily test that scenario.  But what sort of problems did you have?  If you found that Command Center seemed to disregard your fan and thermal settings, it's possible that the extra load from the VMs forced the system to run differently to avoid damage or something.  AWCC running within your host Windows OS wouldn't have any direct visibility into the load that the VMs are creating on the underlying hardware, but the system firmware would be able to see the resulting temperatures of the extra work, which might trigger fan behavior that overrides the configuration that you or AWCC might normally want to use.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 5th, 2020 13:00

@Gameboy15  that's very strange.  If you were using Hyper-V, then technically the Hyper-V hypervisor sits underneath even the main Windows OS, although that OS still gets special access to hardware since you still use that environment to install drivers for the real hardware as opposed to managing that through a full separate hypervisor environment.  So maybe that caused the issue?  But even if that's true, I would expect that would only be possible with Hyper-V, since it is a "Type 1 hypervisor" that sits underneath the host OS.  All other hypervisors that you can run within Windows would be "Type 2 hypervisors" that sit on TOP of the host OS.  Typically that means performance isn't QUITE as good, but it might avoid this issue.  But again, I'm speaking from general knowledge here, not specific familiarity with how it works with that specific system and AWCC.

19 Posts

May 5th, 2020 13:00

@jphughan i was running the VM on the most basic hardware requirements....i had lost the gpu/cpu readings as well as the fan controls in the AWCC.......no unusual heating up or other issue than the AWCC problem...

i had to take my system to the service center twice to get the software fixed , i followed the steps provided to to reinstall the software from dell but it was of no use.....

so iam quite skeptical about using VMs , i just wanted to know if this was the cause of the problems.......i dont want another problem during this period..

thank you 

please advice  

19 Posts

May 5th, 2020 21:00

@jphughan 

i was using the the virtual box from oracle , not Hyper - V........i think ill have to make a trust fall and see if any problems were to rise again.....

do you know any 3rd part fan control software ? ,in case things goes wrong.........i have read that we can use the HWinfo64 in built fan controls  for controlling the fans

thank you

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 6th, 2020 07:00

@Gameboy15  I personally have never felt the inclination to manually control my fans, at least not beyond the Power Mode slider that was added to Windows 10 1709.  It appears only if the hardware supports it, but if it does, ten it can be used to adjust the tradeoff between fan speed and performance.

1 Message

May 17th, 2022 17:00

I too have an Alienware X15 R1.  One of the first things I did was replace Windows 11 with Windows 10.  Recently I too have be attempting to get Hyper-V, so I could install WSL 2.  I was having NO luck.  Then, as is the case with the internet I stumbled upon a little explained fact..  Apparently one has to be running Windows 10 Pro in order to use Hyper-V.  So I bought a Windows Pro upgrade license, installed it, and now have WSL 2 running on my Alienware X15 R1.

Might you also need Windows 10 (11?) Pro?

No Events found!