Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 26th, 2018 11:00

m15, temperature 100°C, thermal throttling

I just got my new laptop m15 and its running too hot, I ran XTU benchmark and the temperature was 100°C while playing rise of the tomb raider was at 75°C then 82°C then 92°C then 100°C! both fans running at 100% nothing is blocking the airflow. I tried under volt still the same, checked temperature options on alienware command center was in performance, tried laptop stand with fans still the same. While running benchmark on UTX thermal throttling and power limit throttling was yellow and the status in yes.

5d0d5fd.png905ea67.png

5 Posts

December 10th, 2018 09:00

@Joe1984PS

Why did you return it? You said it was fixed..

3 Posts

December 11th, 2018 06:00

I was thinking about the Alienware M15, but I am a bit worried; is this problem similar to the one on the R series/Macbooks which was solved also by a firmware update, or is it purely hardware? Will new batches be improved with better thermal contacts/heatsinks? I would rather not opening it top to bottom and repaste it myself...

24 Posts

December 11th, 2018 06:00

repaste doesn't work, the tech who replace my heatsink did a repaste.

20 Posts

December 11th, 2018 07:00

Too bad you return it, they keep insisting is normal to get 100C and I am really frustrated with support! they told me they were going to call me one day, nobody called me, then the next day the guy called me just to tell me the same thing he already told me through email, that is normal, and only if I get more that 100 C to let them know. The thing is that I reach 100C using chrome! only for a couple of seconds but it reach. And another big issue is that when I am playing the wireless stop working until the laptop cools down.

For people trying to get this laptop, please don't buy it!, stay away of it, I am beyond of that point (I already sold my old alienware) and I hope they can fix it if only support is willing to help me.

@Joe1984PS wrote:

repaste doesn't work, the tech who replace my heatsink did a repaste.

24 Posts

December 11th, 2018 08:00

sithvrix 

go to power options > change the current plan settings you are using > click on change advanced power settings > processor power management > and change the maximum processor to  Setting (%) 95 and save it. that suppose to reduce the overheat, meanwhile they find a solution, If they are looking for a solution ( I don't think so) if you are planing to keep the computer get extended warranty lol.

20 Posts

December 11th, 2018 08:00

@Joe1984PS wrote:

sithvrix 

go to power options > change the current plan settings you are using > click on change advanced power settings > processor power management > and change the maximum processor to  Setting (%) 95 and save it. that suppose to reduce the overheat, meanwhile they find a solution, If they are looking for a solution ( I don't think so) if you are planing to keep the computer get extended warranty lol.

Thanks for the tip, I already changed it let's see how it works, yes, that's what I am planning to do, to get the extended warranty.

20 Posts

December 11th, 2018 15:00

@TheBlind wrote:
It just doesn't seem right to get extended warranty to cope with a known issue... Also, I am planning to run also Linux on it, and I am not sure how power can be handled there.

I know, besides that, I really like the laptop.

By the way the 95% cpu didn't help.

3 Posts

It just doesn't seem right to get extended warranty to cope with a known issue... Also, I am planning to run also Linux on it, and I am not sure how power can be handled there.

24 Posts

I member that I had a Toshiba laptop that was overheating and after a firmware update never happened again, but what they did was to limit the TDP.

I'm getting a replacement by the way, my original order was late 2 weeks this will take a month for sure, but if this time do the same is going back no excuses.

20 Posts

December 11th, 2018 16:00

It  worked, I had some issues to get windows back, from the very beginning I had issues with the SSD so after the 5th restart seems computer detected the SSD correctly, I hope my issue with the SSD is not back, because I already deleted the windows on the hard drive that came with the laptop.

Thanks for the help.

20 Posts

@Joe1984PS wrote:

use this link to recover your firmware.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en

Thank you, I am doing it right now. Crossing fingers.

20 Posts

Is official, I have 15" brick. I tried to update the firmware and now the laptop is dead

5 Posts

December 24th, 2018 12:00

Hi @Joe1984PS, Did you get the replacement yet? Please let us know when you do and how is it performing. Thanks!

December 25th, 2018 14:00

Hello Have you ever find a solution for this issue, because I am having the same problem with my AW15 R3.
No Events found!