OferR
1 Nickel

Re: Brand new Alienware m15 temperature 100C! thermal thrott

Jump to solution

@Joe1984PS

I really wanted one of these, I was just about to order one.. Smiley Sad

It sounds to me like a bios/driver or other control software issue.

A question: While it was going OK, did you notice the keyboard being very hot under load, to the point it is almost too hot to touch?

TIA

0 Kudos
Joe1984PS
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

the entire laptop felt hot to touch from the keyboard to the metallic part where the logo is  .. that's why started to monitor the CPU GPU  

I really wanted this laptop but unfortunately I'm not rich to keep a defective product with a unknown future (melt in flames).    

0 Kudos
TheBlind
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I was thinking about the Alienware M15, but I am a bit worried; is this problem similar to the one on the R series/Macbooks which was solved also by a firmware update, or is it purely hardware? Will new batches be improved with better thermal contacts/heatsinks? I would rather not opening it top to bottom and repaste it myself...

0 Kudos
Joe1984PS
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

repaste doesn't work, the tech who replace my heatsink did a repaste.

0 Kudos
sithvrix
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Too bad you return it, they keep insisting is normal to get 100C and I am really frustrated with support! they told me they were going to call me one day, nobody called me, then the next day the guy called me just to tell me the same thing he already told me through email, that is normal, and only if I get more that 100 C to let them know. The thing is that I reach 100C using chrome! only for a couple of seconds but it reach. And another big issue is that when I am playing the wireless stop working until the laptop cools down.

For people trying to get this laptop, please don't buy it!, stay away of it, I am beyond of that point (I already sold my old alienware) and I hope they can fix it if only support is willing to help me.

@Joe1984PS wrote:

repaste doesn't work, the tech who replace my heatsink did a repaste.

0 Kudos
Joe1984PS
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

sithvrix 

go to power options > change the current plan settings you are using > click on change advanced power settings > processor power management > and change the maximum processor to  Setting (%) 95 and save it. that suppose to reduce the overheat, meanwhile they find a solution, If they are looking for a solution ( I don't think so) if you are planing to keep the computer get extended warranty lol.

0 Kudos
sithvrix
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

@Joe1984PS wrote:

sithvrix 

go to power options > change the current plan settings you are using > click on change advanced power settings > processor power management > and change the maximum processor to  Setting (%) 95 and save it. that suppose to reduce the overheat, meanwhile they find a solution, If they are looking for a solution ( I don't think so) if you are planing to keep the computer get extended warranty lol.

Thanks for the tip, I already changed it let's see how it works, yes, that's what I am planning to do, to get the extended warranty.

0 Kudos
TheBlind
1 Copper

Jump to solution
It just doesn't seem right to get extended warranty to cope with a known issue... Also, I am planning to run also Linux on it, and I am not sure how power can be handled there.
0 Kudos
sithvrix
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

@TheBlind wrote:
It just doesn't seem right to get extended warranty to cope with a known issue... Also, I am planning to run also Linux on it, and I am not sure how power can be handled there.

I know, besides that, I really like the laptop.

By the way the 95% cpu didn't help.

0 Kudos
Joe1984PS
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I member that I had a Toshiba laptop that was overheating and after a firmware update never happened again, but what they did was to limit the TDP.

I'm getting a replacement by the way, my original order was late 2 weeks this will take a month for sure, but if this time do the same is going back no excuses.

0 Kudos