Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

2 Posts

September 10th, 2019 22:00

m15 R1, unable to control the fan speed

Hi guys,

So I have an issue with my newly bought Alienware m15 R1 and its bugging me out. I've had it for 2 weeks now and I'm considering returning it because the AWCC just does not work and Dell is not giving me the freedom to just control the fans my self.

I have 2 main clocking profiles for the CPU and one for performance which lets me play games at temps of up to 83c which is nice.

Then I have a strong underclock profile which has the processor at an average of 1ghz with regular browsing use. Works fine and is stable. The temperatures are average of 38-39C of CPU and system temp. BUT! the fans are still on, still very AUDIBLE. Even though I've been able to get it to the minimum, I can still hear the fan and its very annoying. It is unnecessarily annoying. Just let the laptop get a little warmer for the people that really want it quite. These profiles need to be changed otherwise I'll need to return this nice laptop.

I have done the work of underclocking, why can't the bios pick up on that. Why in the AWCC app, when I put the fans manually on 0% or even 20% or 30% it's actually still just doing its own thing, yes, of course, I don't want to fry the processor, it's not in extremes but I have been able to reduce the processor speed to 1ghz and the temp to 39C, reduce the temps and its still buzzing with just the CPU fan on 52% and the system fan on 0%, I can still hear it blowing. It's not necessary. Give the option for the fan speed to be reduced further to 25% or even less with the trade-off of having the temp go up to 50C, there is nothing dangerous about this.  

There is utterly no 3rd party software that has actual access to the fans either. 

Please Dell, please help, its just a small tweak, give us real access to the fan controls. I thought this was Alienware, a brand that lives up to its name by being a true gaming computer, the least you can do is give us access to the fans, please

1 Rookie

• 

113 Posts

September 11th, 2019 04:00

671 Posts

September 12th, 2019 10:00

Thank you for your recent contact. Sadly, this isn't something that can be provided. We have set our fan tables in a way we prevent overheating on your computer and keep it safe. Yes, it could be more discrete when it is under heavy load. However we would rather be safe than sorry. The noise levels are within the standard of what we consider acceptable. Unless the fans are blasting to a point that's viewed as out of the normal.

1 Rookie

• 

113 Posts

September 12th, 2019 11:00

You did not get the point: The machine should be more discrete when it is in idle, nobody complains about noise when the system is under heavy load. It is possible. Please look at the 1.4.1 BIOS! And: It is my machine so give me the control for the fans! I take the risk!

23 Posts

September 13th, 2019 08:00

Did you try the free utility HWiNFO? It was the only thing that could actually gain control of my fans on my Alienware R3. SpeedFan was useless. 

1 Rookie

• 

113 Posts

September 15th, 2019 08:00

Yes, I tried. Everything works like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ACb8qUqb0

except for one thing: The fan icon does not show up =

1 Rookie

• 

113 Posts

September 16th, 2019 10:00

First impressions only, but there seems to be quite an improvement with the fan curves in the new 2.2.1 BIOS. Thank you DELL!!!

M15.png

1 Message

October 1st, 2019 15:00

I can't even get any of the default profiles to change anything about the fan speeds.  Neither up nor down.  The ACC Fusion Thermals section doesn't seem to make any change at all.

1 Message

January 13th, 2020 14:00

I have the same issue. I've tried all profiles and nothing seems to change, this thing gets up to 160 degrees and I'd like to keep it around 120 and turn the fans up but nothing I do increases fan speed. Dell???

February 13th, 2020 14:00

Hi Dell team, I think you do not understand, we want the fans to work harder and be louder sooner starting at lower temperatures and to do so in such a way that it does not draw more power then the power supply can provide (problem I am having after setting the fans in performance mode through the BIOS).

1 Message

March 13th, 2020 18:00

Early indications are Bios update 2.4.1 has improved the fan noise based on load.

I'm still testing it but it definitely seems better

1 Message

July 7th, 2020 10:00

It seems like the issue I got recently has been here for a while. Like 3 years at least.

My problem might be different, but it's still related to the fan speed. It seems to me that the fan speed doesn't want to go up even though the temperature is going really high. I'm not sure if it happened after the last AWCC and OC update, but what i'm experiencing right now is that when I switch to performance profile my fans are doing really good job, but for only about 6-7 seconds. After that, the speed goes down. Does it affect my gaming experience? Of course it does. The FPS drops from 120 to 70 and sometimes 40. 

The question here remains the same. Why don't we have any options to control the fan speed? You offer pre-installed fan curves. Great! The temperature goes far over 100C, but fans still run at 60-70%. Are they going to run at 100% when my laptop is going to start burning?

Too many questions, too few answers I can see here, folks. Fix the software with the next BIOS, AWCC, OC update, please. That's all I'm asking about.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 7th, 2020 18:00

Download speed fan,

Then go into the configure options. 

Procead to advanced options and enable dell notebook support.

then close and reopen the app.

1 Message

August 25th, 2020 19:00

Same issue here. Got an Alienware M15 R3 and I only have one game installed (Microsoft Flight Simulator). Before playing I set my fans to “full speed” on the command center and I could hear the fans speeding up pretty good, but once I start the game the fans slow down a lot and my temperature gets over 100 degrees right away..... I don’t get it.. shouldn’t the fans stay fast while I play? Why Are my fans slowing down when I open up the game?? Help!!

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 27th, 2020 07:00

I’m saying just use speedfan as it can make custom fan curves for when the temps get too high and it can control them just like the command center does but better.

November 3rd, 2020 19:00

I have a maxed out m17 R3. Basically it seems like Dell does not care at all about what their customers want and instead have decided to treat us like children. I tried using Argus Monitor to no avail and tried installing HWiNFO v5.86 (which is the same version the guy in the YT video has) and when I pull up sensors the program closes every time. My guess is that is thanks to Dell or intel trying to take the power out of our hands. We purchased these products and they make it clear that by changing the settings we assume ALL liability and Dell therefore assumes NO risk, yet they limit our control to absurd extremes. I am going to continue to try to find any program that can breach their control and slow down these obnoxious fans. I can get mine pretty low but then there is just this constant high pitched noise that is literally driving me f'ing insane! I have to use headphones most of the time. I honestly don't mind the fans when they are spinning a little bit faster but this flippin high pitched noise is the absolute worst. The problem is there is no middle ground, it's either max speed or this high pitched . 

No Events found!