Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2020 03:00

m17 R1, touchpad not working as expected?

After a period of use on my alienware m17 R1, my touchpad stopped working as expected. It still tracks, but lost all the gestures. I believe it's suppose to came with windows precision driver, but the touchpad settings did not show anything about precision touchpad but only one option which is touchpad sensitivity. The main problem is all gestures failed to work even the basic scrolling. Also, even after disabling the touchpad by hitting fn+F11, touch sensitivity still exists (i.e, its not turning off either).  I have tried to go to device manager to see if anything shows up,but there is no touchpad in mouse pointing system section. And I also failed to find any driver related to alienware m17 driver on dell website. Have no idea how to fix my touchpad to get my gestures back. Would be glad if anyone could help me to solve the problem, thanks.  

(Contacted with dell service, installed Intel HID event filter driver; still the issue persists.)

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 29th, 2020 19:00

Ok, let me tell you something @xiaomei.

Im not trying to be rude and all but some people don’t have the time to go to a repair shop right now and literally pay someone $120 dollars to just check if there mousepad is broken or not. There’s nothing wrong with @Abduism touchpad. It’s just a gesture issue he’s trying to work out and it doesn’t require a repair job to fix.

12 Posts

July 30th, 2020 01:00

Hi. @Alienware Area-51 ALX 2006  @xiaomei   Checked in device manager, though I couldn't find touchpad or mouse drivers installed, there was a lenovo keyboard device installed in it (and HID keyboard device, nothing else). After uninstall, removal of the lenovo keyboard device, all default drivers including the HID compliant touchpad just came into existence and now it works well. Wondering from where the lenovo dude got into my system.

Funnier part is that when I asked bout the issue with Dell tech support they said: 'sir we dont provide multiple touch/gestures in m17 and it is only available in 'top end' dell laptops like XPS' .

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 29th, 2020 06:00

Disable tobii touchpad filter and that should fix it.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 29th, 2020 08:00

You can’t see the mouse pad in the human interaction section of the device manager and you can’t turn it off?

Try reinstalling this:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=9ft4r&oscode=wt64a&productcode=alienware-m15-laptop

but inside of safe mode using a usb stick.

I want you to install this on a usb stick so when you boot into safe mode you can install it and then restart the computer to see inside the device manager to check if it’s detected and it can turn on and off.

12 Posts

July 29th, 2020 08:00

Hi. Mine is m17 R1 which does not have tobii..

186 Posts

July 29th, 2020 19:00

It is recommended to get to the repair shop to check whether there is a problem with the touchpad.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 30th, 2020 07:00

Big 

OOF

Like the kids say.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 26th, 2020 18:00

Glad he could help you.

1 Message

August 26th, 2020 18:00

NO WAY!!! ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS DISABLE THE LENOVO KEYBOARD DEVICES IN DEVICE MANAGER!!! WHAT DOES THAT EVEN HAVE TO DO WITH THE TOUCHPAD??? ANYWAYS, I CAN FINALLY SEE ALL THE TOUCHPAD SETTINGS WHEN THE ONLY OPTION I HAD BEFORE WAS THE SENSITIVITY!!! I'VE BEEN TRYING TO SOLVE THIS ISSUE FOR SO LONG!!! THANK YOU!!!

1 Message

December 7th, 2020 20:00

Go to Device Manager and navigate to Mice and Other Pointing Devices. Double click on "touchpad" and click roll back. This will go back to a previous version of the driver for your touchpad and should fix the problem.

1 Message

February 7th, 2021 01:00

Hi, I am sorry to hear that ., but finally I fixed mine.. I want to share to everyone that I have trouble with my Alienware 14" gaming laptop with my touchpad. (same everybody encounter problem).

I had been working 3days straight night to figure it out,. the process is very simple ..

the first step make sure you have the original Alienware Resources DVD that belongs to your laptop when you purchase your product. 2nd, you have license Windows software and make sure before you do something on your computer you must save any document's, the picture's all kind of stuff that important to you,, (eq   DVD/cd's /USB, etc) in short you must to reboot your computer in a factory setting or erase everything ;( and backup your PC! 

When you're ready to reinstall your new Windows to reboot your PC in the factory setting just double-check if your computer running 32bit or 64bit. because u must choose the right bios to boot ur computer. (i have 32 and 64 Widowès 8.1 full version) 

the second step after your download the Windows on your computer all your driver are gone, only the Windows software and then Now, you can insert your DVD resources to reinstall all the software driver to your computer but make sure to choose the right software(experimenting) on your computer because not all in the resources DVD is not ready to install before the updated .. and is not compatible with new Windows 10 n:( that's why some parts or driver are not working, eq mouse, touchpad, etc. So, after u reinstall everything to extract all your driver software you must go to Windows update and update your windows and restart your computer ..(do not download windows 10 to update if your pc running Windows 8.1) THATès IT and my touchpad working : )

TAKE NOTE: this is only my experience when I fixed my pc I spend a lot of time .., i download to many times because after I download my DVD resources some software not compatible with the touchpad and I am so very frustrated and angry sad because after I fixed my touchpad and then I download the Alienware Command Centre  ReV:A00  the touchpad not working again and then I redo it again .  

So is up to you guys if you want to follow my procedure. 

and now I do not update or upgrade my Alienware14 to Windows 10 IF I want I might buy a new PC made for WINDOWS 10 

my pc runs very well Now! and also you go back to DELL SUPPORT to download an updated driver for your pc and you can download on the site the Alienware command:   or nay software or driver to ur pc as long compatible and make sure backup your PC always ...

No Events found!