Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 7th, 2020 17:00

m17 R2 , freezes randomly for a few seconds

So i've had my Alienware m17 R2 since 03/2020, i've noticed my laptop will randomly freeze completely, won't be able to move the mouse or anything, this lasts anwyhere from 5 to 10 seconds and then it starts working again as normal.

I can't figure out what the issue is.......some days it'll be fine for hours and only happen once that day and others it'll occur a handful of times. I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I want to sort this out and get to the bottom of the issue..

Specs of laptop:

Laptop Model: Alienware m17 R2 (2019)

CPU: i7 9750H

SSD: 1TB m.2 nvme samsung

RAM: 16GB DDR4 memory 2666mhz

GPU: GTX 2070 Max-q design

Thanks!

November 18th, 2020 16:00

I can confirm @lam3001 solution to the problem. This a Dell software problem.

Once I uninstalled the "Dell SupportAssist Remediation" software from the laptop, the problem was solved. I haven't had any new freeze since then.

3 Posts

May 11th, 2020 12:00

My Alienware m15 R1, has exactly the same problem,

I did a research and I found it a common problem in to many different models of Alienware laptops

I read some articles refers that it might a hardware problem but many users report that after they did a replacement for the expected failure hardware or the entire laptop the problem still the same.

which lead me to my guess that it's windows 10 bug, most of the problems I faced it in my laptop I followed the logs and it's appear most of it related to driver failure/bug or failed process in the background.

the freezing in my situation appeared that is happened after a service called AppResolver which used by windows 10 or sometimes after Cortana background service.

I do believe that some bug is causing this issue because in my basic understanding if it will be a hardware issue I don't think you will be able to work after 5 or 10 seconds.

it's look like exactly the system freezes till some background process finished then it works again.

for more details it's never happened while gaming for long hours only with the regular usage like programming or design that worked in windows 10 environment.

22 Posts

August 20th, 2020 10:00

I had the same problem on my Alienware laptop and worked with Dell support for months. They even replaced the motherboard, RAM, and SSD.

In the end, what solved it for me was uninstalling all of the Dell and Alienware software. I am pretty sure the culprit was something called "Dell SupportAssist Remediation" but I just uninstalled it all and never reinstalled any of it to see which program it was. I also uninstalled some of the Killer Networking management software which was causing network issues -- haven't had a network issue since.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 20th, 2020 14:00

Try doing a clean boot and if that doesn’t work, a clean install would be suggested.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

August 22nd, 2020 03:00

Could it be that the computer's CPU usage spikes to 100% ? 
Have you been able to monitor the temperatures and the task manager for any abnormal patterns? 

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

August 22nd, 2020 11:00

it could be the CPU Maxing itself out or the primary drive going to 100%.

Really could be of a thermal or startup issue.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

November 18th, 2020 19:00

That’s great.

April 1st, 2021 20:00

thanks for posting this - I'm so over this problem  - ever hour I get a freeze and I teach remotely so the constant freezing all day is a real issue for me - I'll post an update if this fix works for me - thanks again!

July 1st, 2022 11:00

Agree with the other posts that it's the Dell SupportAssist software which I'm assuming doesn't do anything useful. It was causing a 4 second lockup about every 15 minutes. Uninstalled and not an issue; I didn't even have to reboot.

Code of Conduct. DELL-Admin>

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

May 16th, 2024 19:45

Uninstalling Dell SupportAssist solves this same problem on my Alienware m18 R2.

It would freeze up several times (at least 5, maybe 10) for several seconds (maybe 2 to 5 seconds) every single time I'd boot the machine and login. Every time. I even launched Task Manager at startup automatically (since I couldn't launch it myself, since the laptop was frozen) and it would stall as well.

This is truly unbelievable.

I have 32 cores.  64 GB of memory.  UItra fast NVMe.  Nothing installed (basic software development stuff, that doesn't launch at boot), except for OneDrive which had no impact when shut off, and I shut off all other nonsense (like Edge and Office auto-start, faking quick start by stealing your boot time).

How can such a beast of a machine get stuck?
One really unfriendly piece of software.

No Events found!