Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2015 11:00

Appsync and Vmware SRM

Hi:

We are trying to figure out how to provide a solution for remote consistent replication for MSSQL and Oracle Database and app Servers using appsync and Site recover manager.

In my understanding Vmware SRM could drive mirrorview or recoverpoint replication but I don't know how to launch appsync jobs from SRM and then replicate those app consistent snapshots.

14 Posts

March 18th, 2015 12:00

From what I have experienced from Appsync, it drives Recover Point creating its scheduled snapshot.Which it will be replicated like any other snapshot that recover point creates. So dont have to worry about those snapshots being replicated it will do that automatically. You will see the journal called Appysyc crash consistent something along those lines. SRM test or DR will be LIVE. If your DB becomes corrupt then you will use Appsyc to roll back the CG to the appsync consistent snapshot.

2 Posts

March 18th, 2015 14:00

Thanks for the info!! Do you know if it works with the VNX native replication/mirrorview?

14 Posts

March 19th, 2015 04:00

I am running VNX 5400 and it has a appsync section under data protection, so I will think it would. I dont know if you know this but make sure that things you want protected in appsyc are on their own lun and own consistency group. If you ever need to roll back it will roll back everything in the lun in the admin guide affected entities.

1 Message

May 24th, 2015 22:00

AppSync works brilliantly with RecoverPoint - no problem. But the question is does that in turn work with SRM. That's the problem. SRM is a DR runbook that doesn't give you the option to select your restore point. All it will do is pick the most recent replication and no option to choose a checkpoint - in this case an AppSync bookmark.

I can't find anything that says SRM should be able to support this. My question for EMC techs is - is there a way to make SRM run from an AppSync bookmark or is support for this coming in a future release?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 1st, 2015 22:00

Not sure if SRM let you choose a specific bookmark for recovery but if the end goal is recovering your virtual machines from a specific bookmark created by AppSync, you can use AppSync to restore the datastore from the CRR bookmark. If you want to restore only a specific set of virtual machines then you can use AppSync VM restore feature to restore one or a select set of virtual machines from the CRR bookmark created by AppSync. VM level restore feature of AppSync allows you to restore your vritual machine to any other vSphere host and datastores.

522 Posts

June 2nd, 2015 05:00

If you are using RecoverPoint with SRM, you can utilize the VSI (Virtual Storage Integrator) Plugin available for download and install and this will let you chose the PiT image (bookmark) you want SRM to recover to versus using its default of the very last SRM generated bookmark in RP. This will only work with RecoverPoint and VMware SRM integration, not Mirrorview.

Also...as for Appsync integration with the VSI plugin, I am not really sure on that part if you are looking for AppSync to control the SRM process. Usually SRM will be controlled as it's own entity and utilizing the VSI Plugin, the VMware admin can chose the PiT image (bookmark) they want to recover to prior to executing the SRM Recovery.

No Events found!