Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2015 03:00

Appsync for Exchange

Hi there,

I have a customer who wants to know if he can use appsync like he used to use Netapp snap manager and restore an Exchange database to a point in time using the logs directly from the interface.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Ed

January 19th, 2015 12:00

Hmmm...let me see if this helps answer your question.  As stated in the AppSync 2.1 User and Admin Guide:

AppSync interaction with VSS

Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) is the infrastructure that enables AppSync

to create application-aware copies.

When it creates a copy, AppSync coordinates with VSS and Exchange to create a shadow

copy. The copy is a point-in-time copy of the volumes that contain the data, logs, and

system files for Exchange databases.

AppSync coordinates with VSS and Exchange to quiesce input-output to the databases

when creating the copy, and then resume the flow of data after the copy has been

created. During a restore, AppSync coordinates with VSS and Exchange to recover the

point-in-time shadow copy.

So, using VSS, you can take your point in time copy and you can restore that point in time copy.

However,  sometimes people talk about "any-point-in-time" (APiT) and get that confused with just point-in-time.

The same doc referenced above talks about

Restoring logs from crash-consistent (APiT) copy

and there are manual steps on restore than can be done for that.

Check out the doc to see if that helps you answer your customer's questions.

214 Posts

January 20th, 2015 02:00

I looked into this and I believe that Itempoint was dropped from EMC's product line because Exchange 2010/13 first have the resilience due to DAG and you can also enable 'deleted item retention' which pretty much covers what you would have done with Appsync and Itempoint.

Thanks for the response!

Ed

No Events found!