Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 18th, 2014 05:00

Atmos Archiving Solutions

Hello, I am just curious as to what everyone uses for archiving data to the cloud with Atmos.  I am noticing products that say S3 are for that only and usually you cannot put in your own HTTPS address in. 

I am looking for  software or appliance (virtual) based products to install on a server or vmware environment but I don't really like Geodrive.  To me Geodrive seems more like a desktop/laptop product.  Am I way off base here?  I find that when GeoDrive is used on a server it does cause confusion as it creates a second drive that shows the same data as your original drive and the issue where it appears you have not had any free disk space due to archiving (stubbing).

1.2K Posts

June 19th, 2014 07:00

Maybe you could provide a better picture of what you're trying to accomplish with your archiving of data?  I see lots of things going in your post, but I'm not sure of your goals.

If you just wish to archive data to ATMOS, you have a lot of options.  First, what are you archiving?  Data from NAS shares on VNX/Celerra?  Files on VMware hosts?  If you have VNX/Celerra, CTA (Cloud Tiering Appliance) can use ATMOS a repository and archive files there.  Of course, CTA will leave a stub file, but this returns free space to your filesystem.  If you're not trying to archive from VNX/Celerra, you could code your own applications with the REST API.  Some applications support extensible archive solutions, so you could write your own code with object languages like Ruby or a fancy Perl script, and move data to ATMOS that way.

If you're looking for something that emulates a Windows fileshare, you might look at a software solution like StorFirst EAS, from Seven10 software.  This software allows a VM to present a CIFS share that lets you write to ATMOS.

If you can provide more details, we can talk through your options!

Karl

No Events found!