Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2014 07:00

Support for indefinite retention

Does Atmos support a mechanism for indefinite retention such as sometimes used to implement an event based retention scheme? By indefinite, I mean the ability to place an object under retention so that deletion of that object is prevented by the system, but with an unspecified retention end date. The expectation is that the exact retention end date will be determined at a future time and may be dependent upon some future business event. For example, consider a system for managing home mortgages. A loan object is created when a new application is received and is immediately placed under retention, but the end date is unspecified. The loan is either approved and eventually closes or is disapproved. If approved, the business policy stipulates that the retention period is 5 years from the date the loan closed. If disapproved, the policy requires that the retention period is one year from the date the request was submitted. The loan is under retention from the time it is created, i.e. it cannot be deleted, however the exact retention end date is unknown until a later time. Does Atmos support such a capability and, if not, are there any plans to support it in the future?

110 Posts

May 21st, 2014 08:00

You can always extend the retention period of individual objects.  So if you know that all objects will be in retention for at least 1 year, then that can be the default period.  If the loan is approved, then you can extend the retention end date to 5 years from the close date.

Arbitrary end-dates for retention would violate the stipulations of SEC 17a-4f compliance.  If you do not require compliance, then using a non-compliant subtenant/policy, you could set a very long default retention period (i.e. 40 years) and turn off retention, change the end date, and re-enable it once you know what the end-date will be.  However, the prior solution seems much simpler.

No Events found!