Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 15th, 2015 11:00

Activating client with multiple dns hostnames

I am trying to activate a client with the avamar agent and I am getting an error '*1* Client registration failed because a Client host name has invalid characters.  Any alphabet, digit or the special charaters _ - . are valid.'

the hostname of the box does not have any of those characters but there are dns entries in dns that refer the same host address.  This box is part of sharepoint.  When looking at the agent log, on the line about "Hostnamelist:"  the agent lists the hostnames associated with this box, and one of the hostnames has a wildcard *.  It looks to be avamar is getting this information from the hosts file on the box because I see these entries in the hosts file.

I feel like I have ran into this issue before and just had to create a file of some sort and place the file in one of the sub-directories found under the install location /avs.  I may be thinking of something else but I can't find any notes referencing creating a file in case an issue like this happens. 

Anyone know what I am talking about by chance?

207 Posts

December 16th, 2015 01:00

Try to create file "avagent.cmd" in the "var" directory of the client installation folder and add the following parameter to it and restart Avamar service on the client.

--hostname=

Regards

Amol Powar

December 17th, 2015 11:00

Amol, this is what I was talking about!  Worked like a charm, thanks!

No Events found!