Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 30th, 2017 23:00

AlwaysOn Availability group databases do not show up - how to backup these

Hello all,

I have 2 SQL Servers with one Availability Group containing 4 databases. So, only AlwaysON AG, no clustered SQL instance.

Those databases should be backep up through Avamar, but I am not able to get it up and running.

I ran the Avamar Windows Cluster Configuration Wizard, chose "SQL AlwaysON" Option and set everything up according the manual.

The AlwaysOn Availability Group listener name now Shows up in the backup console as a Client  but if I want to drill down to Windows SQL etcpp there are no databases (e.g. browse).  Instead I get the browse timeout popup.

So, what's going wrong here? I am able to see the AG databases under the different nodes itself since I have placed a avsql.cmd with "show_db_in_availability_group=true" but that is not the solution or behaviour I want to have.

What's also quite confusing: The wizard ran fine but I got 2 Errors in Cluster Events:

"Generic service 'EMC Avamar Backup Agent resource for xxxx failed with error '0'. Please examine the application event log."

"

Cluster resource 'EMC Avamar Backup Agent resource for xxxxx of type 'Generic Service' in clustered role xxxx failed.

Based on the failure policies for the resource and role, the cluster service may try to bring the resource online on this node or move the group to another node of the cluster and then restart it.  Check the resource and group state using Failover Cluster Manager or the Get-ClusterResource Windows PowerShell cmdlet."

Some more Information regarding the Setup:

Avamar Version 7.3.101-125

Windows Server 2012 R2

SQL Server 2016 Ent Ed

Regards

Dirk

February 3rd, 2017 03:00

Hi all,

I was able to get it up and running after a service request and some tipps from the Support.

Following regarding the setup: the service account which runs the EMC Avamar Backup Agent for needs sysadmin privileges on both nodes. In a normal setup the Service runs under local system. I have a dedicated domain user for backup purposes. So I've changed the Service account. Then I have placed an avsql.cmd file in the shared VAR Folder with the following Information --sqlserver=IPAdress form the listener,Port from the listener

Since my listener is not listening to Default port 1433 I Need to adjust this as well.

Afterwards (very important) set the  EMC Avamar BAckup Agent resource offline and online via Failovercluster Manager.

And then, voila, everything works fine.

Regards

Dirk

6 Posts

July 16th, 2018 08:00

Hi Dirk, Were you able to resolve the browse timeout issue as well? I though this is a limitation in Avamar when there are huge number of database instances.

-Nitss

No Events found!