Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2013 04:00

Avamar 6.1 - no "windows file system" backup available on some 2008R2 x64.

With the Avamar 6.1 agent installed on Windows 2008 R2 x64 server i am finding that there is no windows file systems backup available on some client servers. 

I have 2 datasets for these servers 1) Plugin for Windows File System   2) Plugin for VSS.      VSS backup and restore is available and working.

This is becoming more of an issue as i upgrade and deploy more clients with Avamar 6.1 - approx 700 clients.

Currently my fix is to revert to 6.0 client and all datasets are then available, but this is not ideal.

Any ideas what's going on?  I can't see any windows log entries corresponding with issue.

2K Posts

January 15th, 2013 10:00

Was the client package on the Avamar server upgraded to 6.1 before this version was installed on the clients? If the agent reports a client version number that is not in the server's client catalog, the agent will disable that plug-in. Backups and browsing of the client would stop working in that case. The avagent.log file on the client will record a message when a plug-in is disabled.

If that is the issue, upgrading the client package on the Avamar server will correct the problem.

498 Posts

January 14th, 2013 09:00

Let start by verifying some things.

when you created your dataset

you choose the Plug-in type of : Windows File System and then hit the + which put "All Local Windows Filesystems" in the bottom window

you then choose the Plug-in type of : Windows VSS and hit the + which put "VSS" in the bottom window.

So did you have both of these in the DATASET?

Then you had the backups run.

--- because only 1 job runs at a time on any system-- did you verify that both jobs ran via the Activity Monitor..

one thing to look for is one may have run before midnight and the other after midnight-  so you need to check today and yesterday - and pay close attention the run times of the backup images that show up in the Backup and Restore Window.

So after verifying this - are you still missing the Windows Filesystem backup?

12 Posts

January 15th, 2013 04:00

Hi,

For best results i split WFS and VSS into 2 datasets and 2 associated groups to avoid grid contention and improve daily backup report clarity

1) Windows file system

2) VSS

Created in line with your outline above. 

The same dataset works without problem for 300+ other servers which are all created from VM templates. 

Only change is 6.1 grid and client recently.

Checking that the overnight backups run accross pm/am is not an issue.

A big point of note is that when i go to run a manual file system backup for effected host, the windows file system component/plugin is not there!? Only an install of the older client 6.0 then makes the windows file system backup available again. 

12 Posts

January 16th, 2013 06:00

You're correct - The Avamar server grid was upgraded from 6.0 to 6.1 - The client catalog does not list the windows file system 6.1 plugin so this is the issue - client side plugin is then disabled.  I will have it updated and am sure this will resolve the issue.  
Thanks.

No Events found!