Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2012 13:00

Avamar Backups and Raw Device Mapping

I've recently implemented Avamar at my company and most things are working very well.  One problem I'm experiencing is backing up VM images with RDMs.  I understand the reason why this is an obsticle for any backup solution, and I've got some solutions / workarounds, but in the spirit of gathering as much knowledge as I can, I'd like to pose a question to the group...

If you are also using Avamar as your primary backup solution for VMs and have VMs that were created with RDMs, I'd like to see what other people are using to backup the volumes.  Snapshots? Replication? File backups? etc....   and if you're passionate about it and care to list the pros and cons, I'd be happy to hear about those as well.   I've pretty much got a blank check for the design of the environment....   Thanks all. 

143 Posts

August 13th, 2012 19:00

Virtual RDMs can be backed up in the same manner as VMDKs.  Physical VMDKs will need an agent installed inside the VM (at least to protect the pRDM volume).  Our setup is to install a faile system agent on a VM if a physical VMDK is present and our policy is to minimize the use of physical VMDKs.  If you have the option of replicating snapshots, that could be an option as well.  We prefer to keep things simple and use Avamar for everything.

16 Posts

August 14th, 2012 05:00

Thanks for the input fdxpilot.  I appreciate it.

No Events found!