Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 6th, 2013 07:00

Avamar - Exchange VSS backup fails on dismounted database

Using the Avamar Exchange VSS plugin, I attempt to do a backup of the entire Exchange 2010 Information Store.  It fails immediately, apparently trying to back up a dismounted database in Exchange.  I was under the impression that dismounted databases are ignored.

If instead of choosing the entire Information Store, I choose to only backup the databases that are mounted, then the job runs perfectly.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

143 Posts

March 6th, 2013 11:00

I've noticed something very similar.  When a backup runs, Avamar makes one request to VSS to create a snapshot of all of the volumes which hold all of the data and log files needed to backup all of the databases in the Avamar Exchange dataset.  If any part of the snapshot attempt fails, Avamar fails the entire backup job.  Thus, if the Exchange databases in a single Avamar dataset include more than 64 volumes (the maximum number of volumes for a single VSS shadow set), the backup will fail.  With Exchange 2010, it's pretty easy to have 30-plus databases on a single Exchange mailbox server in a medium sized environment.  If each DB has one data volume and one log volume, you'll hit the 64 volume limit rather easily.  As you've seen, the VSS snapshot attempt will also fail if the Exchange databases aren't in a healthy state (so as to not allow you the false sense of security provided by a backup of potentially bad data since Exchange can't know what has happened to the data since the DB was dismounted).  The workaround, as it sounds like you've discovered, is to manually create datasets that don't violate any of the VSS constraints (e.g. number of volumes, offline databases, etc.)  A better solution, in my opinion, would be for Avamar to loop through the Exchange databases to be backed up and request a seperate VSS snapshot per Exchange database and only fail the backup of the particular databases for which the VSS snapshot request fails.  This would allow the backup job to complete with exceptions, which would be similar to how Avamar handles SQL backups today.  I swear I've submitted an RFE before with this suggestion but I cannot find any confirmation at the moment of having done so.  This would be an excellent enhancement in my opinion.  As another work around, Avamar support may be able to supply a flag you can add to the Avamar Exchange dataset to force Avamar to ignore dismounted databases.  I don't know if such a flag exists but it sounds like something that would be possible to implement and it would be useful.  We switched to manually defined datasets for Exchange backups and haven't had too many issues since (other than having to manually change the datasets as Exchange databases come and go).

22 Posts

March 6th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for the reply fdxpilot!  Yes as you confirmed, by choosing the specific database, the backup works.  Also if I remount the database, the backup of the entire Information Store works.  But if I choose to backup the entire Information Store with a database dismounted, it fails.  I find this very strange as the Avamar 6.1 For Exchange VSS manual clearly states on page 117 that dismounted databases will be ignored.

Snippet from the manual:

Unmounted or offline databases are skipped - If a database is unmounted or offline when a backup is performed, the backup skips that database. Generally, this is not an issue because databases that are not mounted are not

in production.

In addition I have a ticket currently open with support, and the tech also indicated that the backup will fail if the Information Store has a dismounted database (which contradicts the manual).  Anyway I guess the manual is wrong.  I will continue to backup using manually created datasets.

Thanks again for your input!

143 Posts

March 6th, 2013 12:00

That's an interesting excerpt from the Avamar documentation.  Looking forward to hearing what you find out about that discrepancy.  As you suggest, perhaps the document simply is wrong.  However, it is strange they would go to the trouble of including that if it doesn't apply.  Perhaps it used to be true but the behavior has since changed.  Who knows :-)

P.S. if the document is incorrect, you should submit a documentation bug to get it cleaned up.  Other folks will appreciate it in the future.  Directions to submit a bug are included in the beginning portion of most EMC docs.

22 Posts

March 7th, 2013 05:00

OK so the final word from a senior engineer is that in my case, I should configure a dataset to back up specific databases only.  So I will begin the process of submitting a bug request for the documentation.  Thanks again for your input!

No Events found!