Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 4th, 2016 08:00

Avamar and Commvault clients running at same time

I'm currently in the transition phase of going from Commvault to Avamar for my backups. I've been gradually been adding my physical servers recently and I have been adding 3-5 servers a day. I'm close to finishing up my physical servers and the remaining ones will be interesting to backup for the first time. One site has a 3.5 meg link with an estimated 93.7 gb to backup and on the other side of spectrum 406 gb on a 150 meg link.

My Commvault backups on the servers begin at 6pm local time and the Avamar backups begin at Midnight. My Avamar backups are being backed up to a Data Domain and my Commvault backups are going to a NAS drive. They have both client agents installed and both target the same 3-4 folders.

So the question is does it hurt anything to have Commvault and Avamar run at the same time? With some of my remaining servers looks like the the initial backup will run into the evening that day or span across a couple days. Since I am dealing with physical servers and not virtual servers I am thinking it might be safe. I wanted to check with peeps who have more expertise with both products.

73 Posts

October 4th, 2016 11:00

In general I don't recommend running 2 different backups at the same time.  You can possibly run into issues as I doubt either company does QA testing against this scenario.  I haven't run into both Avamar and CommVault at the same time but I have run into issues when 2 different backup solutions are run together.  If its just file the risk to run into issues is fairly low.  Ideally only running one at a time.  If your doing BMR or backing up an application I would think twice.

- How well is VSS snapshots going to work with multiple backups running at the same time.  How well is BMR backup going to work when more than one backup is running.  Are you going to run out of VSS snapshot free space?

- Exchange or MSSQL could have issues with transaction logs at time of restore.  One solution could have the most recent full that the other solutions transaction logs point to.

- How well is CommVault optimized scan index going to work with Avamar scanning every file?

1.2K Posts

October 4th, 2016 11:00

We've migrated a few clients from other backup systems (TSM and Netbackup) onto Avamar.  As long as you don't have conflicting TCP ports, you'll largely be okay.  CommVault uses only a handful of static TCP ports; the rest are dynamic ports.

Avamar uses several TCP ports, but fortunately, they don't seem to overlap with CommVault's TCP ports.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

No Events found!