Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2013 21:00

Avamar backup and restore by only specific user,

Hi All,

We have a request from our security team which is as follows, Which is only for one particular client.

1. A specific user to be able to backup 
  2. When a restore is required, it should prompt for credentials (to begin the restore)

Regards

Althaf

Community Manager

• 

6.1K Posts

September 1st, 2013 18:00

As I know there is no way can meets your both requirements as above. But you can use Avamar Desktop/Laptop feature with LDAP to backup and restore clients individually. For details, you can refer CHAPTER 20 Avamar Desktop/Laptop of EMC Avamar 6.1 Administration Guide.

Hope this helpful.

5 Posts

September 1st, 2013 22:00

Hi Leo,

Many thanks buddy. This does not suit our requirement (one off server).

Is there any way to do so ?

1.2K Posts

September 4th, 2013 07:00

If the server is UNIX, you could build a simple wrapper script that could be executed from the command line with setuid.  It would take some work, but might get a working solution for you.

498 Posts

September 5th, 2013 12:00

I have never set this up - but I recall reading - that if you set the client into its own avamar domain (that folder vew on the left of the admin window)  you can then setup user security to ONLY be able to handle (do stuff with) that client in that domain.

so like

avamarserver.mydomain.com

+NDMP

+cluster

+specialdomain

that  one clinet

+vms

the set the security for that user(s) to be able to do a restore or backup of just the servers in specialdomain.

other than that you would need to setup reporting to tell you who did a restore or backup - so long as each user logs in with their own credentials.

I have a report that shows me restores and who did them.

not sure if any of that would fit into your needs but it is someplace to start looking.

No Events found!