Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2013 11:00

Avamar backups in a RedHat Cluster

We have a large Avamar installation which will be backing up windows systems, VMware infrastructure, bladeserver infrastructure, standalone linux servers and clustered linux servers.  Most systems run an Oracle DB.

In a RedHat Linux cluster environment, with relatively "small" operating system file structures, and relatively "LARGE" application & DB file structures(within redHat cluster packages),  it "appears" that when a cluster package is moved from one cluster node to another, the Avamar backup is essentially a "new" backup.

My "theory" is that the host's hash-cache content is most meaningful when cluster packages don't move, and that when a cluster package (and all it's filesystems) is moved to a cluster node, that node's hash-cache most likely has little or no contents that matches the chunks of the files and file system that just appeared. 

Thus, every time we move a cluster package, it's like a new "first time" backup occurs for the contents.

Please educate me on the specific nitty gritty on how this functions, and if I'm understanding it's operation

Does the 20 byte SHA HASH include any host-specific information

Thanks in advance

Nate Mann

No Responses!
No Events found!