Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2010 07:00

Avamar "What if" backup

Hi All,

I'm looking to see if it's possible to do a "what if" backup where avtar.exe runs, checks all the files etc and then will show me an estimated "sent bytes" total so I can predict the impact of adding a large backup client. Because the server is quite large, I would like to see how much additional storage it would use on our Avamar grids without actually sending the data to the grid and having to garbage collect all of the servers data if it is too large.

My server is running Windows 2003 x86 version of Avamar client - 5.0.105-169. Avamar server version is 4.1.2.33.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.

50 Posts

November 1st, 2010 16:00

In the previous company I worked for, during pre-sales and proof of concept, the EMC engineers ran a tool on the server clients that were going to be backed up by avamar.

It basically runs locally on the server and calculates the commonality and dedupe, this gives you an approximate. I think this tool is still around, you may need to ask EMC support if you can have a copy.

36 Posts

November 2nd, 2010 04:00

Hi,

Thanks for your answer,

Yes, I have used this tool and it is good for checking change rates on individual data sets, however the server I am looking at backing up to the grid is a new application server to replace an old application server and *should* therefore de-dupe against the original server's backups very well.

The pre-sales tool doesn't (as far as i'm aware,) match any data to your grid to see how well it will de-dupe on the "global" scale.

I was effectively looking to run a full backup on a new server, but not actually save the backup data to the grid.

Cheers,

Dave.

50 Posts

November 2nd, 2010 15:00

True. You will only see local deduped data.

I would think that if your environment consists of pretty much identical servers and like data, global dedupe would be ideal.  The only thing I can see is that it will take time for the initial seed, im sure you already know this since the f cache and p cache needs to be created for the first time.

39 Posts

November 2nd, 2010 16:00

There is one tool named "EMC ROI Analyst™ & Configuration Tools" provides the ability to analyze the TCO savings, business benefits and investments of various EMC solutions. But this for the EMC employees and Authorized Partners Only, if you are not. Please contact EMC presales or consult for help.

https://roianalyst.alinean.com/emc/Welcome.do

Regards,

Charles

No Events found!