Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2010 14:00

Avamar recovery questions

Does anyone know the steps they would take in order to put the replicated Avamar site in production?  Having to put together a disaster plan and didn't see much info for replicated Avamar sites.   Any documentation would be helpful. 

Also, does anyone know if you can do a test restore from replicated data.   I tried but to no avail.   

Thanks,

Wes

139 Posts

July 19th, 2010 14:00

What have you tried when trying to restore data from a replicated data?

I go to the client and reactivate the Avamar client with the replication grid and then restore the data. Has worked fine every time.

Ahmed Jalal

Office: (713) 219-6742

Cell: (713) 806-5378

ahmed.jalal@gcserv.com

266 Posts

July 19th, 2010 15:00

As far as I know replication was described in Admin guide .

First of all you have to check name resolving, dns and stuff like that ... (you can add hosts entires for a test maybe) then second thing is to reactivate your Avamar client with this replication Avamar server  and then you will be able to dump your data back .

can you paste the error what you are getting .

regards,

.R

7 Posts

July 19th, 2010 20:00

I am trying to connect to the DR nodes using Avamar Administrator.   Then I try to restore like normal.   We have never tried to test a restore from our replicated site.  However, it cannot find the appropiate plugin.

What are the steps to actually do this?   Just want to make sure I don't get stuck somewhere and have to call support. 

I haven't gotten any error codes because I really don't know the steps to take.   Thanks for you help.

Wes

July 19th, 2010 21:00

Hello Wes,

alias23122 & Rej Pervan are right. You need to re-activate your client against the DR Grid. Effectivly the Prod Grid will be offline in the event of a disaster.You then carry out a restore. Navigate to Backup and Restore --> Select for Restore tab --> On the left hand side (in the tree) select 'replicate'. Expand this (a couple of layers), and you will see all the replicated clients backup data. Restore from here.     

When you connect to the Avamar Adminstrator you will use your DR Grid IP / Hostname on the login screen. As long as the client is registered you will find the client in the GUI. Then you will be able to carry out a restore to this client from the DR Grid. Either a redirected restore of another clients data to the re-activated client machine, or the backed up data of the re-activated client.

This process should work for you, and you shouldn't come across any errors.

I hope this helps and makes this clearer,

Thanks

Richard

7 Posts

July 19th, 2010 21:00

Richard,

Thanks for your help.   I am kind of iffy on re-activating my client against DR.    I believe I am going in the right direction, but I received an error message after I logged into the DR client.  This sounds pretty easy, however I am getting this error message below after I log into the client from the DR "Enterprise Manager System" web interface.  The error happens when I try to click on anything in the menu.  Any ideas?

-Wes

avamar.bmp

July 19th, 2010 22:00

Hi again Wes,

No problems...

'iffy' as in you don't know how to do it, or you are unsure if you should do it at this time? Might break something etc?

'Logging into the DR client' - Do you mean the DR Avamar Administrator / Grid.

There are two parts here...

1) You need to reactivate the client against the DR Grid. You can use a test client and in the bottom right hand corner you will have the avamar logo. Right click this, will allow you to activate the client. You can re-activate this against the DR Grid.

2) Do you have the Avamar Administrator installed on your desktop, or are you navigating to the Administrator via the Enterprise Manager? My preference would be to install the Administrator on your machine. On your screenshot, when you log on (Using Avamar Administrator - no Enterprise Manager), use the DR grid IP or hostname as the 'Administrator Server' field.

As I understand it, you are unable to log in to the DR grid at all so far - right?

131 Posts

July 19th, 2010 22:00

Hi,

I think, the version of the Console is old.

Upgrade the version of the Console for same of the Avamar Server.

7 Posts

July 21st, 2010 11:00

Well, I was iffy on how to do it but I got it now that you cleared that up.  I was trying to activate it via the console.  Crazy thought.  Next, I tired to activate it against the DR side, but was unable to see any restorable dates.   It activated just fine thought, which is a good first step.  The only area that has dates have the (R) beside the server and I cannot activate against that or it throws up an error message like below.  I feel like I have almost got it.

Thanks so much

Wes

activate.bmp

39 Posts

July 28th, 2010 17:00

This is a known issue for avamar which has been resolved on version 5 SP1. Suggest upgrade the avamar server to resolve this problem.

No Events found!