Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

August 21st, 2014 15:00

Backup strategy ?

New to Avamar and backup world.

Trying to evaluate if system state backups are needed combined with full virtual image backup.

We have a 30day full image -vmware- backup policy in place, should we be taking Windows State backups every night too, using Avamar client ? or is it just waste of storage and extra load on system.

thanks -K

5 Posts

Can you please elaborate on everything else?

Our current backups, both full image and system run exactly at same time. So if there is any corruption, won't both backups capture it. I guess I need more info on when and why would one use a system state backup ..especially when you have a full 30 day repository (plus monthly) of image backups.

thanks-K

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

We are doing it for our active directory controllers, VM image backup for catastrophic corruption in AD and system state for everything else.

5 Posts

August 21st, 2014 16:00

Thanks again. Will read on that.

So I guess it would work for AD servers etc. How about Mail/Exchange servers? Should we just use AvamarExchangeVSS and forgive the System State backups on those.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

i am not an active directory administrator but things like the registry, sysvol objects, group policy objects ..you can't restore those from an image level backup using FLR (file lever restore). Let's say there is a corrupted group policy object that you need to restore ..you are not going to restore your entire active directory just to get to that one object. Take a look on Technet at what components get backed up as part of system state backup.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

Sorry but I don't have experience with exchange backups.

No Events found!