Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2009 08:00

Can't browse or snapup a Linux Client - Have tried several things...

Good Day everyone!

We have been experiencing a continouos issue with a Linux server that can't be browsed from the Snapup and Restore Section nor can make snapups scheduled or manual, currently we have a SR going, the number is 28928544.

The problem basically here is that we have already tried to cycle the avagent services, reinstalling and reactivating the client, placing the DTB file that is required to properly communicate with the grid, REBOOT the Linux client with no possitive results. Bellow are the Linux client specs:

[root@server ># uname -a
Linux server 2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jul 12 23:27:17 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root@server ># more /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.9-42.ELsmp (bhcompile@hs20-bc1-1.build.redhat.com) (gcc versio
n 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-2)) #1 SMP Wed Jul 12 23:27:17 EDT 2006

One of the problems as per the EMC technician is that we are getting some undesirable connection CLOSE_WAIT states, so far we haven't been able to eliminate those on the client side, and we are kind of stuck right now trying to figure out what could be causing this particular problem.

When I try to browse the client for manual snapups, I get the following error message:

Avamar
Browser: Timeout waiting for data from the client after
a succesful initial connection. The connection to
this client may be unusably slow or unreliable.
Read timed out using address #.#.#.#
port 28002
read 0 bytes of 0 byte packet
bytes written: 0.0

Also, the technician has verified that we can Telnet to this client by the 28002 port with no problems:

admin@grid:~/>: telnet #.#.#.# 28002
Trying #.#.#.#...
Connected to #.#.#.# (#.#.#.#).
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
admin@grid:~/>:

This is a sample of the error messages that we are having:

[root@server ~]# netstat -an | grep 28002
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:28002 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 1 0 server:28002 grid:60721 CLOSE_WAIT
tcp 0 0 server:28002 grid:34500 TIME_WAIT

We are using Console Ver. 3.7 and the version of the Avamar client is this:

AvamarClient-3.7.1-100.rhel3.i386.rpm

Does anybody else have some experience on this particular issue? Any comments believe me, will be greatly appreciated :D

Sincere Regards.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

April 5th, 2009 01:00

Funny enough I get same error message with MAPI browsing of Exchange using AVE 1.2 and I also have SR opened for weeks now. I'm even not sure if problem is timeout as we changed timeout value in config, but same error message appears despite value we set. What I found interesting in my case is that I get that message if I put --debug=4 in avtar.cli only (and then I also get some other errors in client log which support still didn't figure out what it means). In my case I suspect issue is related to either user/permissions and access to mailboxes of Exchange or something about German Exchange is confusing avamar commands.

In your case, you may wish to change timeout parameter to see if it does make any difference and check if no Linux firewall has been set (iptables) which may block some communication.

2 Intern

• 

137 Posts

April 20th, 2009 16:00

Did you kill all the process on client?? I mean, uninstall the avamar client, then check if is there an avamar process and kill it.
Then install the client again and try.

April 27th, 2009 22:00

Check whether your Linux client have iptables installed.

May be currently the way iptables is configured on this server it is blocking the necessary ports to allow communication to and from the Avamar server

Also make sure, Port 28002 needs to be allowed opened into the client from the Avamar server, and 28001, 27000 needs to be opened into the Avamar server from the client.

Enter 'service iptables stop' then run snapup and if it is successfull, then re-configure iptables.

10 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 01:00

I've encounter the same problem, I issued netstat -alp | grep CLOSE_WAIT and found several avamar client has multiple entry on the list. I've been informed by EMC support that is the due to ascd service was down or the listening thread were down.

If that is the case it can be solved simply by restarting ascd services;

1. Login as user and admin
2. Load SSH keys
3. Key in "ascd stop"
4. Key in "ascd start"

Unfortunely the backup administrator restart the Avamar system before I can present the solution, but it turn up all clients are able to perform backup now.

June 3rd, 2009 06:00

*** UPDATE

Sorry for not answering sooner, the issue is now fixed, but basically we don't know why it's fixed.
The linux server (Oracle) got rebooted and some of it's applications deinstalled and reinstalled, the Avamar client got through the same deinstall reinstall process, so I guess we will never got a definitive answer, thanks to all who have replied :D really appreciate your time.
No Events found!